Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #327 (permalink)
Key

Jonsi - Go

Yes, you recognize the name. Yes, it is the same Jonsi as the vocalist of the same name from Sigur Ros. Some people may not be aware that Jonsi has also made a name for himself on the solo side of things. He's got a few albums under his sleeve as a solo artist, even one that he made with his partner Alex Somers titled "Riceboy Sleeps", which is just as amazing as it sounds...

Jonsi & Alex - Riceboy Sleeps

Anyway, back to Go. This album is definitely one you'll want to open your ears to, just for the curiosity of what Jonsi would sound like as a solo artist. Let me tell you. It's an amazing album. This album could possibly change your life, but maybe not. I wouldn't say it did that for me, but it does have the ability to bring me to a much happier place in regards to post-rock. I'd do a feature of this album in my "Angel Room" section, but I figured why bother. Honestly, if you're looking for a little bit more upbeat version of Sigur Ros, this album is where it's at. The first track in the album titled "Go Do" just sets the tone for the entire album.

Another track that is probably my favorite on the entire album is titled "Boy Lilikoi". Its got this weird mixture of being upbeat while still sounding a little bit depressing, but it's done very well. The lyrics are pretty damn good as well. Yeah, Jonsi sings english lyrics, who would've thunk.

Honestly, if it were to come down to it and I had to choose one post-rock solo album that I'd take to the grave with me, this one would be it. Jonsi is certainly one of the more underrated solo artists, but I think that has to do more with his success with Sigur Ros getting in the way, which isn't a bad thing. I just think people don't realize that Jonsi does make music on his own, and it's worth as much of a listen as any Sigur Ros album.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote