Music Banter - View Single Post - Frowning in the Darkroom
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Thanks gentlemen. @Black Francis, I think that they could all be looked at in that manner. I kind of see an icon that you would see in a church in the first one, and the last one kind of looks like a clown.

Album Artwork Series Part 1: Wolves In Sheepskin

Many readers are also aware that another one of my hobbies is music. Hobby may not be the right word since music is my passion and gives my life meaning. Having been playing for years I ended up recording a lot of stuff that I ended up releasing on full length albums. I took and edited all of the photos for all of my album artwork except for Wolves In Sheepskin's debut, "Bay Beef: A King." While I snapped the photos, Stryder (fellow founder of WISK and my best friend), was either present for the photo or helped me take it/set it up. In this post I'll be showing all of the artwork from past WISK albums as well as upcoming artwork once we get our asses to some recording.

Indecent Vibrations

This one was taken where we did a lot of our practicing and recording: the tunnel. It's a drainage pipe that's usually full of water, although for a couple of weeks during the Summer it dries up. The method for taking this picture was similar to my water series: we threw rocks into the water and the ripples messed with the reflection of the rungs that made up the drainage pipe.

Any of Many

This picture was taken from a hillside letter by the community college that I was attending in San Marcos. What you see in the picture is a parking lot at high zoom with effects.

Haus

Taken at Stryder's (the other WISK main member) haus when he was moving and the place was empty for a couple of weeks. A good part of the album was recorded in this place, there were a few songs recorded in the same time frame. This picture was taken when we started doing photography using all of the shit that was left in the haus, which included the boat, birdbath, and door that you see in the photo. We threw a devil's mask on Stryder's dog, Lucky, and attached a stationary magnifying glass to a birdbath next to the pool. Stryder was behind the door holding it in place and making sure that Lucky stays in the same spot with orders while I snapped the photo and found a good angle. This corresponded with 4/20 of that year, so we were a bit creative at the time.

A Van Per Oven

This is another photo taken in the tunnel, but it's a lot more straightforward as it's just the view of the tunnel from one side. Having a shitty phone made the shutter speed very slow when I tried to take pictures in HD. Being in my standard state of mind when making material for WISK, I moved a little bit after pressing the button, causing an after-image to appear in the photo. When I was looking at the picture, I stared at it and back to what I was photographing while utterly perplexed. I tried to see if I could see that in real life while Stryder (who was present but didn't really aid with this one) convinced himself that he could see it before we realized what actually happened.

Knuckle In the Mud

This one was taken on a photography hike that me and Stryder took with the intent to get some album artwork. This one was the first one where we got the artwork specifically for an album rather than simply dabbling in photography. The green substance that you see is algae that had taken over a pond, making the pond that bright green colour. Stryder took a stick and pulled up some of the muck from the bottom of the pond, making a black elliptical shape in the center.

Lizard of Ox

I wake up to the dogs barking. Someone's at the door. I groggily walk downstairs and open it to see Stryder in bare feet and pajamas telling me to get in his car. We drove to his place and he showed me what he had found: a massive orb weaver spider. I snapped a few photos and noticed a pot in the background and lined it up to get some cool symmetry in there.

How Your Mother Cried Last Night

This one is from our next album, and it's a case of fucking with a random image to make it cool. That's a photo of plywood, but messing with the contrast and brightness and other things made it into something a lot better.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote