Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Key

Torchlight II moved from intro post to here

So first off, I want to start with one that I have been enjoying for what Steam has logged in as 19 hours. We'll just say 20 hours because why not? I'm talking of course about...

Torchlight II

I'll be honest about it, it took me a while to actually get around to adding this game to my collection for one reason: I wasn't a big fan of the above head POV. Basically the way Diablo II/Diablo III/Path of Exile are played. However, I've been exposed to it a pretty decent amount through Path of Exile and Torchlight II that I finally came to terms with it and really did come to enjoy it. The game itself is just fantastic. It's nothing you haven't seen before in a game like this, especially with the main story being pretty short, but you get to choose from a variety of different classes such as berserker and mage, etc etc, pretty much your run of the mill classes. What I absolutely love however is the companion you get to have with you. I haven't tested it but from what I've seen, each class gets a companion, and you actually get to choose what breed your companion is. You can choose between a cat, owl, panda, all sorts of things, and they all have their own silly / mean personalities that really make your decision that much more difficult. It really does add to the game though because as you level up your equipment, you keep in mind that you want to level up your companions equipment and make sure that it's being kept to a standard that you want. It adds some responsibility to your play style and it's a lot of fun. Torchlight II is certainly a game that I would recommend to anyone of the play style of what I mentioned before. The combat is very good, the quests don't feel like the same ol' same ol' thing, and the boss fights are extremely satisfying and well worth it. You get some badass looking armor for your character and the best part about it...there's multiplayer. Yes, you and friends can create your own characters and play online with each other and destroy the enemies in your path. My friend and I have put in hours of gameplay between the two of us together on our local server and we have a blast every time.

Double Feature

The Nintendo 64 is and will always be one of my favorite Nintendo consoles, for many reasons, however i'm only going to talk about two very specific reasons why that continues to be the way it is today. Back when the Nintendo 64 was in it's hay day, we received not one, but two games, the first being Ocarina of Time, follow by Majoras Mask coming two years later. I'm afraid to say it, but I really do think that these two releases really helped Nintendo push the idea of "The Legend of Zelda" to it's next level. The reason i'm afraid to say that is because I know a lot of people are passionate of the older titles of this franchise, but admittedly I never really got heavily into the earlier games. From what I can remember, I was also a bit late to the party when it came to "The Legend of Zelda". I remember a few years ago, around my senior year, was my first experience of beating Ocarina of Time all the way through. I had played the game time and time again since it's release, but I never actually sat down and played it in full for myself, and man, it truly is a remarkable game. (I beat the entire game in a week, but that's only because I had nothing better to do). The story telling, the enemy encounters, everything was just perfect. It left such a good impression on me, and I know this because even today I can remember every single bit of information about the game that I learned from my first play through, and I can remember where I was, what I was thinking about, and all that. I knew of course that even though I had finally beat this one, there was one more game waiting for me to play and that is of course Majoras Mask. Admittedly, once again I knew basically nothing about this game, but I knew it was gaining popularity and it was making people "favorite games" lists pretty quickly, and thus I decided to give it a go. The overall feel of the game seems much darker and creepier than it's predecessor, and when watching other people's reviews of this game nowadays, I was right to assume that this game was going for that creepy and dark feel. Everything about it is creepy. Especially...

I remember when playing "Majoras Mask" for the first time that I was terrified to look above me because I knew i'd find that face looking right at me. Seriously, it's ****ing creepy. Good move, Nintendo. No but in all seriousness, the moon plays a pretty substantial part in your experience as you are trying to get things done as quickly as possible before you meet your imminent demise. And let me tell you, there's nothing more depressing than seeing this happen...

Creepy stuff happening right there. Just say your farewells to Hyrule, because it's gone. Nah, I joke, but it really is one of the creepiest moments of the game seeing that happen, and you try to avoid it as much as possible.

To wrap things up pretty quickly here, I have honestly come to the conclusion that if you have ever owned a Nintendo 64, or you have the money to get one, you need to play these two games. If you're a fan of The Legend of Zelda and you have never actually played these two games, I can't consider you a true Zelda fan. But that's just me. Then again i'm a hypocrite as I don't really like the older games. Anyway, that's that.

Last edited by Key; 09-03-2018 at 05:20 PM.