Music Banter - View Single Post - Modest Mouse: Strangers To Ourselves
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
ReadyMadeFour64
Music Addict

Default Modest Mouse: Strangers To Ourselves

The day has come! If you did not know, I have been looking forward to this album all year! I even made a thread for the singles off the album. Was it worth it? Kinda...

This album is what I feared. It is a lot of dance and pop music more than the old Modest Mouse. A lot of the songs like Pistol, Wicked Campaign, and The Ground Walks With Time In A Box are very pop-ish and does not sound like Modest Mouse.

This album is not all bad though, I love the songs like Lampshades On Fire, The Best Room, and Sugar Boats. My problem with this is that there are very few songs like this on the album.

There is some ok instrumentation on the album. But it can get really bad. In one of the songs, Issac Brock's voice is lowered and distorted and it sounds bad. It is unbearable.

Was it the album we waited for? No. A lot of opportunities were wasted to make mediocre songs. If you really liked the album, good for you. This just did not make my list of great Modest Mouse albums.

Before I go, I want to talk about something I noticed on the CD. On the back of the CD it says "The Golden Casket VOL. 1." I have a few theories about it. My first theory is that the album will get a second follow up album with the same style. My other theory is that this might be one of the last albums Modest Mouse will make. The casket might indicate something with the band. Not to mention this album took quite a while to put out, and with rumors that the band has been arguing, it could be true.

Anyway...

5/10 "Ehh"

Label Website:

My Music Blog and Other Music Stuff:
https://sites.google.com/site/readymademusicarchive/

Twitter: ThisIsReadyade
Instagram: ReadyMadeFour64
YouTube: ThisIs ReadyMade
Music Channel: ReadyMade Reviews
ReadyMadeFour64 is offline   Reply With Quote