Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Key

part II

So, Pokemon Yellow being one of the best childhood gameboy games I've ever played, that still leaves room for any other gameboy games that came after that to make big impressions on my childhood. And they most certainly did. And I am of course talking about the next in the series...

Pokemon Gold

This was actually the first game I had ever gotten for my Gameboy Color (which I had also gotten that same year, a few months prior). Pokemon Gold pretty much surpassed every expectation I had for it, and my expectations were high, especially since I instantly fell in love with Pokemon Yellow the minute I started playing it. I remember the day I got it too, I was so excited that I took the game right out of it's box and started playing it right away. At this time, my cousin was also starting to get into the Pokemon games and he really wanted to play along with me through Gold & Silver, however at the time that I had gotten Pokemon Gold, he hadn't received any of the Pokemon games...until the next morning where I went to his place and he started talking about a part in Pokemon Silver that he had gotten to, and instantly, we started to play.

I really can't put this game anywhere but my 2nd favorite childhood game in the Gameboy/Gameboy Color catalog, because Pokemon Yellow is always my 1st, but at the same time, there's no way any other game that I have played will ever take 2nd place. This game on my first time through was nothing but amazing. The added color, the new cities, the new rivals, and the new pokemon, including the new starters. I remember that the first time I played through Pokemon Gold, I chose Cyndaquil, and once again, I was anxiously waiting to see what levels they evolved, what moves they learn, what they turn into, etc etc. And it was still just as excited as it's predecessor, if not better. The legendary pokemon in this game were also ****ing amazing. I wanted Pokemon Gold specifically for the box art alone, but little did I know, Ho-Oh would become a crucial part in my team:

Spoiler for for big picture:

I still think even to this day, Ho-Oh is in my top 5 legendary Pokemon, and yes, before you ask, I will be doing lists for legendary Pokemon, and things like that. I just think his overall look and attitude are just perfectly done. His move set was perfect for when you caught him (at level 45 in Pokemon Gold) and it just made the game so much more worth it when you finally got to get to him and catch him. I did catch him with my master ball every single time playing through Pokemon Gold since I always wanted him to be a part of my team.

It's weird to look back and remember playing these games for the first time, but that just shows how much work and magic went into them to make them the amazing games that they still to this day remain to be. And don't worry, i'm not one of those "the old games are better" people. I actually have an enormous love for the later generations, and you will see that soon.