Music Banter - View Single Post - Madness of Art
Thread: Madness of Art
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Default The Jacksons 1976 album continued

The Creation of "The Jacksons" 1976

By: Soul Flower
By 1976 the cute Jackson boys from Gary Indiana were now young men. After seven years under contract with Motown, the Jackson's decided to move to CBS. Joe Jackson thought this venture would be beneficial for his sons because he felt they would have more artistic control. He wanted his sons to grow as artists and musicians instead of being manipulated by a label. Michael (in particular) had a very difficult time with this at first because he loved Motown, Berry Gordy and the life changing experience it made for the family. However, like with most ventures within the family, he eventually gave in and agreed. The Jackson 5 soon became known as "The Jacksons" once they moved to CBS for their 13th studio album..."The Jacksons."

Fun Fact: Jermaine Jackson decided to stay with Motown despite the family's persistance that he come with them to CBS because during this period he had just married Berry Gordy's (Motown Records Founder) daughter Hazel Gordy. Randy Jackson, the youngest brother replaced Jermaine. In this photo he is in the far left sitting under Tito.

The album was released in 1976 for Epic Records and Philadelphia International Records as a joint venture.

Why does this album matter?

This album was a milestone for the Jacksons and in my opinion Joe Jackson made a clever genius move. While I don't think all his business decisions were savy ones, he hit it out the park with this one. Why? Once the Jacksons moved to CBS/Epic Records it allowed them to grow as artists. No more singing bubble gum pop tunes or singing songs the label would spit out. The Jacksons NOW were in control of their own sound, image and the songs they wanted to sing and perform. Overall, this was a good move and in my opinion really helped Michael grow not only as a performer but also as an artist. Here is another fun fact: Michael Jackson wrote his first ever published song on this album "Blues Away." He was 19.

Stay tuned....

Thanks Pets_ Sounds! Muah!

Black Francis I have not heard that Fiona Apple album. She is an artist that I just started listening to within the last maybe 2 years. If you have any recommendations from her I would love to hear them. I love her!

Last edited by Soulflower; 04-12-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote