Music Banter - View Single Post - Modest Mouse: Strangers To Ourselves
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 12:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
quantumcreep
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbe264 View Post
Maybe i should go & listen to Modest Mouse's old stuff
Suggestions?
Stumbled on this site and thread right now through a Google search, and I made an account just to give you your required listening list.

I like the new album, but it's a terrible introduction to Modest Mouse so please try to put it out of your mind and give these a fresh listen. MM comes from a pretty messed up background, so just be prepped for something a tad different than the dancey tracks and casual lyrics (most important distinction for me is that almost all of his older stuff sounds almost explicitly written introspectively, and not for an audience like the last two albums). In a pretty particular order:

1st) Lonesome Crowded West (1997). This is arguably the band's best album. I fell in love with MM because of Isaac Brock's (lead singer) lyrics. He's one of the most gifted songwriters I've ever come across (though you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell from Strangers to Ourselves), and the band's older instrumentation is so f'ing good (it still is for different reasons, but there's just a lot more feeling back then) and innovative that you'll hear stuff you didn't think possible. It's an angry, desolate, affecting album and every track stands out on its own. Note: If you're more into more mainstream stuff and aren't digging this right off the bat, skip to #2 and then come back to this later on.

2nd) Good News for People Who Love Bad News (2004). My first intro to MM and the album that blew them up (you might know the single "Float On"; TBH I heard only heard Float On and my friend immediately took me back to his dorm room to listen to Lonesome from beginning to end and I was in love). It sounds more produced and polished than their older stuff, but both lyrically and musically it takes you on a pretty wild ride through death, depression, and begrudging acceptance. "If life's not beautiful without the pain, well then I'd rather never ever see beauty again. And if it takes **** to make bliss, then I feel pretty blissfully."

3rd) The Moon and Antarctica (2000). My personal favorite. It's like a concept album without a stated concept. Every one of their albums should be listened to from beginning to end, because each are arranged and produced so well (even this last one was very well arranged, IMO), but Moon and Antarctica just has these themes (lyrically and musically) that are pulled out at the best moments possible, in climaxes and valleys. Again, a lot of death and anger, and probably my favorite last track for an album ever (but don't ruin the surprise for yourself!).

4th) Building Nothing Out of Something (1999/2000). This isn't an actual album, but a collection of B-Sides from older EPs. But you couldn't tell by listening to it. It's a beautiful release, very desolate at times, very touching at others. It tells a lot about growing up and Brock really hits hard when he sings about f'ing up simple friendships and relationships.

I really hope you give these a listen and find as much connection with their music as I have. They're not usually the happiest, but god damn, do they hit the nail on the head about so many deeply personal topics that it's hard not to respect them. If you're so inclined, drop me a line at quantumcreep@gmail.com and let me know what you think. Have fun, hombre
quantumcreep is offline   Reply With Quote