Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #488 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I have of course made no secret of my dislike for the fourth series in the franchise, but I will admit it has some half-decent music. In many ways, it's quite similar to the theme for DS9, but there are differences, which I will go into in a little more detail when that theme comes up in the countdown, which won't be for a bit yet. Voyager's theme though I find a little too pastoral, a little too reminiscent of just coasting along (which is ironic really, when you consider how the series went); there's no real power, no punch in it. Other than the drumbeat at the start, which quickly fades into the horns section, there's no excitement or sense of adventure about it. Compare it to TNG: that bounces along with an upbeat, fast, almost militaristic rhythm: you feel something is going to happen there! But with Voyager it's almost like it could be the theme to some romance or maybe a gardening programme! I'm actually surprised it made it all the way to number

It just doesn't grip me. From the first time I heard it I was underwhelmed, and kept waiting for it to strike up, inject some fire into the theme. It didn't. So if you had not seen the show before you might not know it was a science-fiction one at all, apart from the titles themselves of course. But if you heard it, I mean, you would not immediately associate it with Star Trek. Oddly enough, the music was composed by Jerry Goldsmith, whose score for TMP was eventually used in TNG. Go figure, huh?