Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #13684 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

I feel weird about this band. I love, love, love their singer. She's just so off-the-wall and schizo sounding, while being fun personiphied. Musically though, it's hard to connect with so much dissonance. But the dissonance is fun! So much fun. I love Melt Banana at times, while at others I'm doing the listening equivalent of staring at them in amused consternation, but at no point am I disliking them. I feel like they're what pop music would sound like if the only people legally allowed to make music were avant garde nutbags. I sense myself slowly coming to like them more and more though, with the newer, less abrasive stuff being my quasi-gateway to the band -- I say "quasi" because Charlie is still pretty rad, if a bit unlistenable.

Regardless, I feel this band embodies that cracked out sense of alien fun that's become the international face of Japanese pop culture far more effectively than all the shallow-but-fun kookiness of self-consciously weird J-Pop stars. God I love Japan.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote