Music Banter - View Single Post - Oriphiel, let's discuss 2001: A Space Odyssey
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
With all due respect, this is where you keep stumbling. They both did the same story. Kubrick just did it with ambiguity. Clarke didn't.

It's the same story both in the movie and the novel. The same.
Of course they're the same story, but they're both told by two different people. I realize that I've said things like "They're both two completely different stories", but I didn't mean that they were literally different, but different thematically and stylistically. After Kubrick started taking his own artistic liberties with the screenplay they wrote, Clarke wrote his novel so that he could publish a version that he was satisfied with. My point was that they're both incredibly different, seeing as how Clarke wanted to tell a linear narrative about aliens, while Kubrick wanted to be much more abstract, and both the movie and the novel are capable as stories of standing on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
DwnWthVwls, you seem to think that I believe that Kubrick and Clarke didn't collaborate on the screenplay. However, here's one of the quotes you used to prove that (which you, for some reason, edited off the last half of it, where I make an analogy that wouldn't work at all if I had really believed that neither of them worked together). As you can see, I freely admit that they both began the project together, but because of stylistic differences both decided somewhere along the way that they each wanted to tell the story a different way. Hence, Kubrick directed the movie in an abstract way that never reveals the existence of aliens, and Clarke wrote his book from a point of view where the aliens are very real and their existence is without interpretation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
No, they didn't. If that was the case, then Clarke would never have felt compelled to write his own version of the story. The fact that he did only shows that the story he had in mind was different from Kubrick's vision. It's the same as if two friends, one atheistic and one religious, wrote a story together but couldn't finish it and flesh it out in a way that satisfied both, so they decided to just each write their own version and let the readers decide which they preferred.
Now that I've made my stance perfectly clear, I hope that we can stop talking about semantics and choice of wording and get back to the actual discussion.
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is online now   Reply With Quote