Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #335 (permalink)
Key

Yep. We're going to put Megadeth, one of the big 4 up to the podium to finally decide whether or not they are worth the hype they receive. I'm not entirely sure if i'm planning to do the rest of the big 4 for a "worth the hype?" but it's certainly possible. Anyway, let's get right down to things.

First off, I have had absolutely no idea up until this point what the verdict would be on this band. There's so much to take into consideration and that's what makes it the most difficult. First off, we have Dave Mustaine, the "jellyfish hair" man:

Dave Mustaine is amazing at everything he does. He can shred on the guitar, he has an amazing sense of what it means to be a performer on stage, and his vocals fit the thrash metal scene perfectly. People also know him as being one of the most right wing individual you'd ever meet, but that's his own personal issue and that doesn't really change my opinion on him as a musician.

Megadeth as a band have certainly had their ups and down, with 14 studio albums to their name, you can't really blame them. What I mean by that is...they've certainly had their fair share of terrible singles, and albums, but to even the play field, they've also had some fantastic albums and singles, and DVD (live in Argentina to name one). They've been around for a while so a few mistakes here and there is completely understandable, especially when history has shown that they can rise above it and still make some amazing music.

For me personally however, as time goes on, and Megadeth hint at more new albums to come in the near future, I kind of grow tired of following the news as it seems ever since Endgame in 2009, it feels like work to try to get through a Megadeth album fully. I'm not saying they've lost their touch, millions of fans out there would say they are in their prime, but for me, I just feel like every time they release something, I feel a sense of emptiness as I finish a new album of theirs. I mean, to be honest, when Super Collider was released back in 2013, I think I got through half the album before I said "yeah, i can't do this right now," and I actually haven't gone back to listen to the full thing. Nothing on that album really stood out to me. When it comes down to albums in general though, I am a man who loves a good listen of Rust In Peace / Youthanasia / Peace Sells...but Who's Buying? but maybe that's just because I grew up listening to the early Megadeth due to my dad being a huge fan of theirs back then. I don't know, it's a pretty ****ty feeling to have with their new material as I know they are pretty good.

So...the moment you've probably been waiting for. What is the verdict? Well, as I said before, this one wasn't anywhere near as easy as the last couple ones I have done on this type of deal, and perhaps I didn't do this as well as I could have, but...the verdict is...

I have to go with this one, don't I? How can I not? Megadeth have and will always hold a special place in my heart, even if they are starting to show more weaknesses than strength. I have often found myself going back to their earlier work and finding new and exciting things about them that I never heard before. Plus, they're just a great band. When I first heard about them, I just went through their catalog and 95% of the time I was enjoying myself. Now, to sort of end things on a positive note, I want to post one of my all time favorite live videos, from their Live In Argentina DVD:

Key is offline   Reply With Quote