Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #62 (permalink)
Key

Triple Feature

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Fable series. No matter how often I got frustrated with the numerous glitches that were in the games throughout the series, I still found a lot of enjoyment out of all of them for different reasons. There is a popular opinion about the 2nd and 3rd Fable games that they will never stack up to the original...well, no ****, the original is amazing and will forever hold a special place in my heart, but it not stacking up to the original doesn't necessarily make them bad games, since they are the furthest from being bad games, in fact, I find the replay value of all 3 games reason enough to put them onto my top 10 favorite games of all time list (the list changes constantly).

I still remember the first time I ever heard of / played Fable, and this was the Fable before Fable: The Lost Chapters was released, yeah, that one. At that point, as well as other people i'm sure, I had no idea that they original original Fable was not a completed game, but of course when The Lost Chapters was released, it all made so much more sense. However, it being the full game at last, I kind of wish they had kept one thing from the original: Jack of Blades. Yeah, I mean, I understand that Jack of Blades needs to be this evil figure throughout the game, but in the original original Fable, I feel like Jack of Blades had a much more maniacal voice than what they decided to go with in the full game:

skip to :54

I dunno, i'm not saying the updated voice is necessarily bad, but after playing the original Fable so many times, I sort of grew to love the original Jack of Blades voice, it just fit him so well.

To conclude about the first game though, it will always be a great game, and speaking from experience (heh), the recently released Fable Anniversary is fantastic. Anybody who is a fan of Fable: The Lost Chapters will absolutely love Fable Anniversary, everything about it is perfect.

Onto Fable II. Honestly, what can I say, it's a great sequel, and one that exceeded my expectations by a lot. They did everything right, all the way down to the costume choices that you had. The gameplay mechanics were smooth, the customization was fantastic, and the world just seemed so huge in comparison to the first one. I did love that they kept some of the old towns that you came to enjoy from the first game, just updated to look so much better, Bowerstone being a big one. The newly renovated Bowerstone in Fable II looks and feels amazing. I also wanted to mention that they were finally able to introduce male / female gender choices, as opposed to the first one where you started off as a male. It's a small feature but I feel like a lot of fans really liked that, as well as myself. Another thing that was just amazing was the pet you had:

I think it's so cool that they added this into the sequel, it added another responsibility that you have to learn to deal with. I can understand if you're not an animal person and this isn't really for you, but don't worry...

Spoiler for spoiler:
you can choose to get rid of the dog at the end of the game if you want to.

I just love having a little companion with me as I adventure through Albion, it just felt more like a journey than a game, and that's what i'm assuming Lionhead were going for. Well, they did a good job at it. It didn't just feel like a video game, it felt like you were really going on an adventure and all the new things they added really helped it feel like a real adventure.

To conclude, Fable II is fantastic, and a sequel that will forever hold a place in my heart. I probably replayed it 10 times and always found something different that I liked. I was weird in the sense that I always wanted a full evil and a full good character on my game file, it just felt 'complete'.

thoughts on Fable III coming soon. I feel the post is getting a little long, but don't worry, i'll finish it.