Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Plainview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Revolver and White Album are good, but MMT is their only album that is made up almost entirely of five star songs. The other two (and Abbey Road) have some filler tracks that take away a bit from the album. MMT is consistently fantastic.
I agree with Abbey Road and White Album having filler, but for me Revolver is gold-standard throughout. The only song I perceive as being slightly redundant is Doctor Robert, but even that is a nice bit of psychedelic continuation from Paperback Writer. There are a few songs on MMT that don't really do it for me, The Fool on the Hill being the prime candidate. It just doesn't have the impact as an album that their other stuff has. Sure, it's got an upbeat bit of pop psychedelia to it, but everything's a bit more juvenile, to my mind at least.

Still like it though.
The overuse of babe/baby, the lack of any sort of discernible originality, the melodrama and the general sense of an especially heinous sort of hardcore vapid stupidity all make me want to jab my eyes out with a drill-press and then hang myself from the CN Tower with an electrified rope that sends shocks in excess of 10,000 volts through my body as I slowly die. While listening to Dream Theater.
Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote