Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #7323 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Sandbox, to me, means that you do not have to follow a set path on the way to achieving character maximization. It doesn't have to include a system that causes random events or has different results depending on character choices. A model where end-game is not achieved by having to do XYZ.

Never played Skyrim, but when I think of sandbox examples I always go to games like: Minecraft, Star Wars Galaxies, Ultima Online, and The Repopulation (sandbox RPGS), or Rust, H1Z1, Reign of Kings, Don't Starve (sandbox survival).
I think people are using the terms "sandbox" and "open world" interchangeably when I think there's a fair amount of difference between them. I think of sandbox games as less about story and more about giving the players what they need to create their own fun. So things like Minecraft, every survival game on Steam, and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, where the bulk of the fun comes from what the player does to create their own story.

Open world games have advanced to what sandbox games use to be back in the early '00's when Grand Theft Auto III came out. Where it feels like there's two worlds, the "mission world" and the "non-mission world" and you just hop back between them and the open world feels like connective tissue between the two.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote