Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #7346 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Playing Bloodborne right now. As someone who has never played a Souls game, I was hesitant going into this, seeing if the hype was justified, but literally everything I've heard in reviews has been true of my experience so far. I am currently up to the 4th boss in the game, but I would assume I've already logged over 20 hours already due to the very steep learning curve.

At the start, I was hating it. Nothing was spelled out; occasionally you could look over notes on the ground to get some basic info, but whether it was using different items, understanding how the world/death system is set up, upgrading your character, or different combat techniques, everything was a "learn-by-doing" type of process. I hated it at the start, getting pissed off at the lack of clarity and the really tough combat, even early on, but there was just a moment where it "clicked" and I've loved it ever since.

Really some of the most creative and diverse enemies I've seen, and it's refreshing to have a game where you have to be on your toes against even the most basic enemy types, because anything can and will kill you in this game. The level design is brilliant as well. Nothing is spelled out so you just kind of either happen upon or seek out different shortcuts and secret passages to make your progress easier once you die. The game world is really creepy and beautiful at the same time.

The risk/reward nature of the game is great as well. There are points where you've advanced so far that you're just dying to save your progress, and other times where you think, "you know what? I think I can keep going", only to to get blindsided and lose all your progress.

The bosses are something else as well. I have beaten 3, and tried to fight one more, but have died multiple times against all of them. They're all visually striking and legitimately creepy.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote