Music Banter - View Single Post - Cathedral versus Cathedral
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Default Cathedral versus Cathedral

Cathedral versus Cathedral

Cathedral - Stained Glass Stories.

1. Introspect (0:00)
2. Gong (12:33)
3. The Crossing (19:35)
4. Days & Changes (25:35)
5. The Search (34:14)

Cathedral – Forest Of Equilibrium

1. Picture Of Beauty & Innocence (Intro) / Comiserating
The Celebration 11:16
2. Ebony Tears 7:46
3. Serpent Eve 7:40
4. Soul Sacrifice 2:54
5. A Funeral Request 9:17
6. Equilibrium 6:08
7. Reaching Happiness, Touching Pain 9:08

On one side there is Cathedral, they are a Symphonic Progressive Rock band from the US. They released a debut album in 1978. I think Cathedral is just plain amazing, there is a bit of Yes, Genesis and Gentle Giant in their music offerings. And on the other side it's Cathedral, a UK Heavy Metal Doom Rock Band from Coventry, England, which is fronted by the Napalm Death singer, Lee Dorrian. I know that Cathedral released their debut album 13 years after Cathedral but there are some contrasts and comparisons to make. I'm not crazy by either Cathedral's vocals TBH, with Cathedral the vocalist has a high pitch singing style a la Derek Shulman, while Cathedral's vocalist resides in the lower regions with a growly raspy bassy singing. Music-wise I don't think you can say that Cathedral out performs Cathedral. Because both Cathedrals and really jam out the instrumental sections of their songs. You can't help notice when listening to Cathedral the bass player has a grunty Ric bass a la Chris Squier, and Mike Rutherford. While Catherdral has kinda a Stoner Rock(?) meets Doom style, and a few Iommi riffs thrown in as well. Cathedral kinda fool you at first with a little opening their debut album Classical style Nylon guitar then they fall right in the doomy side of Metal.

So what band are you going to vote for? Cathedral or Cathedral?

Side note: I am voting for Cathedral, and if you allow me I will like to make a few predictions. I think The Batlord, CM and Violet will definitely vote for Cathedral hands down cause they are Doom Metal. I think the Trollheart will be torn between the two bands. Both bands are right up his alley -- Prog and Metal -- and I think he will have a tough time deciding whether he like Cathedral or Cathedral better. I think Frownland might vote for Cathedral rather than Cathedral cause they are a Prog band.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote