Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #75 (permalink)
Key

Hey, listen! Hey listen! Hey listen! Hey listen! Hey listen! Hey listen!

Navi, oh dearest Navi, from the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. First off, before I really get into things, can we all just come to an agreement that without Navi, our gaming experience throughout Ocarina of Time would have been so much different. Whether or not that's a good or bad different is still in the air. Yes, we all know about the infamous Navi from this game, and if you understood the "Hey! Listen!" reference I made at the first part of this post, than you understand the frustration this character brought. When you were running around Hyrule Field trying to get to your next destination, you couldn't go 5 minutes without Navi revealing that she has some wonderful new thing to say, only to find out that it's pretty much the same exact thing you've heard over, and over, and over, and over again. Yes, we get it Navi, you want me to speak to someone near Death Mountain, you've told me 30 times now. I understand that Navi was meant to be served as a 'guide' of sorts, for people who weren't entirely sure where to go, but honestly, and this is just from my experience when I played this game for the first time, I don't really think the game is all that difficult to figure out. To me, it seemed pretty straight forward. I probably would have been able to figure out my way around the game without the help of the supposed guide that Navi was apparently supposed to be, even if it would have taken me a few more hours to figure it out.

On a more positive note, Navi is a pretty cool design for a guide. It's not just your typical, "hey, come here when you need help" sort of thing, it follows you around on your adventure and it tries it's hardest to lead you in the right direction, even if it is done to an excessive amount. Throughout the game, you do tend to grow attached to Navi, and it plays a pretty big part in your overall experience, be that frustrating or not. It sort of makes you feel less alone when you know there's something else watching out for you as you go through your adventure, and don't get me wrong, Navi certainly does have some good advice when you are stuck somewhere in the game, but once I get close to figuring it out, I really don't need to be reminded 20 times about the thing you already told me how to do, I figured it out the first time.