Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's Yacht Rock Extravaganza
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Sorry for the slow updates. I run a business IRL and as some of you know I'm doing a great journal collaboration every week with Unknown Soldier. But, without further ado, here is the Yacht Rock Question Of The Month-

"Anteater...wtf is Christcoast?"

Pray...pray for your mortal SOULLLLLL

That's a great question kids! But to truly answer this question to any real degree of effectiveness, we must travel back in time to the good ol' 1980's, the decade where CCM (aka Christian Contemporary Music) because a multi-million dollar industry.

See, what some labels were beginning to realize at the end of the 70's (such as World Records and Myrrh Records) was that there was actually a huge market of Evangelical Steely Dan and Bread fans who didn't mind it much when smooth, jazzy grooves and their faith intersected. Hell, sometimes the results were pretty interesting, even if the album covers tended to range from abysmal to downright hilarious:

..and so on and so forth.

That being said, there are some real gems in this (arguable) genre of yacht rock, and a couple of key artists who are downright impeccable IMO. I'll highlight a few key songs below to those willing to get their feet washed in the holy waters of the Californian faithful:

Quote:
The Archers - What's It Gonna Take (from 1984's All Systems Are Go)

Lovely song, spiced up via Jay Graydon's always awesome presence on synths, guitar and production. "Heaven on Earth" for fans of smooth music everywhere!

Quote:
Bruce Hibbard - Calling (from 1980's Never Turnin' Back)

Arguably the best of the early 80's Christcoast artists, Hibbard was top drawer talent from a performance and songwriting standpoint: dat chorus! Hell, non-historical Jesus wouldn't have had to die on the cross if this album had come out 2000 years ago.

Quote:
Chris Christian - Love's Not One To Forget (from 1981's Chris Christian)

Intensely dumb cover aside, his name's is friggin' Chris Christian: what more could you want? Oh, and the song ain't shabby 'neither.
Quote:
Roby Duke - Win Or Lose (from 1984's Come Let Us Reason)

While Roby Duke's face is one that shall haunt the nightmares of women and small children until the end of eternity, he was generally on the ball on his first couple albums when it comes to grooving for God. Great voice too!
Quote:
Ole Børud - One More Try (from 2008's Shakin' The Ground)

Words cannot express my appreciation of the literally godlike talent of Norway's Ole Børud. He's a Jesus-infused Nordic Stevie Wonder with an unbelievable potency when it comes to smooth music in every sense (singing, songwriting, guitar and production). He's also the lead guitarist of progressive death metal group Extol. How baddass is that?

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 04-01-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote