Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #80 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post

Yep. It's time for my top 10 favorite video games of all time. This will be a list of any video games that I have found to be fun to play, and have loved because of the story pulling me in all the way through. This won't be exclusively PC games as I have played a lot of games on consoles and have loved them. However, if by somehow my popular choice is PC games, well...you're just gonna have to deal with it. Like I said, there will be a few different reasons for choosing the games that I choose, some don't even need to be because of the story, some will be just the general concept of the game itself. Anyway, let's start things off. Also, this is in no particular order, except for my #1 choice, which you'll have to wait and see what that is:

#10:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

I'm a big fan of survival horror games, have I mentioned that before? Of course I have! Anyway, not only is this one of my favorite games in that genre, it's also the first experience I ever had with survival horror as a genre, (no i didn't start with slenderman, shut up!) and I fell in love right away. The overall feel of this game is done so well that you feel like every two steps you take forward, you feel as though you take another three steps backwards into something much worse. The story in this one wasn't strong, but it wasn't terrible either. It wasn't necessarily a story focused game though, it was more about the jump scares and puzzles which both of those together makes for a really stressful / edge of your seat experience, which I found awesome. You never know how much time you can spend on something until whatever is lurking for you ends up finding you. The puzzles were actually more straight forward than most people give them credit for, but that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't difficult. With a mixture of that, and the information you get about the character you play, it makes for a very fun experience that definitely sits on a pretty high edge when it comes to discussing games in this genre. In terms of replay-ability for this game, I have actually only played it once, so I don't know what kind of replay-ability is actually has, but I have heard that it can be fun to play-through the game over and over on the harder difficulties. Either way, this game is great and if you've never played this or any game in the survival horror genre, I strongly suggest checking it out.
I never really thought there were any jump scares in Amnesia, it was all about the suggestion of danger (while also being real danger). As to replay value, there's two endings and then there are the mods.

I'm jealous that it was your first survival-horror game. I had to make due with the first Resident Evil game on the Playstation.