Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone play guitar left handed on a right handed guitar any advice?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Billie_Badger
Groupie

Default Music for people that love music.

First off, I play this way. I have always played left-handed strung right. My dad is a left-handed guitar player that just learned to play right-handed. I grew up surrounded by normal righty guitars. Second, there are plenty of guitarists that play this way.

Will there be challenges? Yes. Playing this way will test your ability to adapt, your ability to learn, and your ability to create in a completely different way.
There is maybe only one or two YouTube videos that teach lefty backwards players. So you will have to answer a lot of questions for yourself.

Challenges on electric guitar that I run into regularly that haven't stopped me in 15 years.
a) I love the look and play of a Fender strat. However I lose accessibility to higher frets due to the cutouts being further away from the pickups.
b) Guitar straps are usually mounted on the other side. So I add a new one.
c) Knobs, switches, output cable are all on the upper side for me. This took some getting used to. You can always buy a lefty guitar and just string it right.

Benefits I have found.
a) You will always have something that can set you apart from other players.
b) Looks great on stage next to a right guitarist because the guitars face opposite.
c) Musically, certain chords will be easier. (Certain will be harder of course). Also it always made sense that the lowest sound was on the bottom and the scale works its way up.

I love music and I love making music. There is no way I would rather play guitar than lefty backwards. It is always something to talk about and I can always pick up any normal guitar and just play.

Do not let anyone tell you how your should play. This is not a decision that anyone can make but yourself.
Billie_Badger is offline   Reply With Quote