Music Banter - View Single Post - The Lady's Comprehensive Guide to Sparks
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
I hope you'll talk about the live show we saw. They certainly know how to put on a good show.
Until then, here's the review I wrote the night or two after the event.

Taken from my original post on tumblr:

Spoiler for Long read below:
Quote:
As promised, here’s my full recap of this magnificent evening. My throat still hurts from all the squealing/screaming/sobbing out in exasperation, and I’m still in a total state of shock over the entire event.

Robert (my loving boyfriend) and I arrived at the Neptune around 6. We noticed a small crowd in front of the theatre as we were walking around and exploring the University District; we had to check it out and see if the doors were opening early. There we met Sara (cactusunderpants) and some unknown people (one of which was a very young girl, and her boyfriend - she didn’t say a word but I felt like I’d seen her face somewhere - if that was you, please let yourself be known, you look like such a sweet girl). An older gentleman (maybe between 40-45 years old) noted that he traveled all the way to Seattle from Indianapolis. An older couple shared a pizza on the ground.

We talked about music, film, ourselves, tumblr, Sparks, and other things that nerdy folks talk about. Robert entertained everyone as usual; I showed a few people my tattoo and talked about my collection. One thing (as I was telling Robert the day before - he’s sort of a Sparks newcomer) I have always noticed is that Sparks fans have so much love for other fans. They’re polite, funny, kind, and just generally pleasant.

I wish I would have mentioned this as we were standing outside the theatre but I saw Ron peek out the window a couple times. His hat and glasses were unmistakable. I felt that had I mentioned it then, he wouldn’t think he was being all sneaky and cute anymore, so I didn’t want to ruin it for him. There was also a young man taking a picture of our crowd from across the street. I don’t know if he went to the show, but I waved at him. There was also a lonely looking young lady in black standing apart from our crowd, closer to the ticket booth.

The Neptune’s doors opened at about half past seven. Our little crowd went straight for front row; we were all literally touching the stage. It was like a nerdy Maelian mosh pit. Ron’s piano was about 3-4 feet from my reach. We spoke to a terrific lady in a green coat; her husband was equally cool. They’d just seen Sparks (and Prince) in Portland the day before. They were also delighted by my tattoo (and probably surprised that a young lady could have so much love for a band that hit their stride before she was ever born).
We were taunted when a couple guys came on to the stage to check Ron’s piano. We were beyond ecstatic when Ron arrived at 8 o'clock, right on the nose. Prompt and solemn. He played for a while; at some point he looked at Robert and I. I’m completely convinced we made eye contact for a full second at least. He finished the medley and everyone simply lost it.

Everyone was cheering, screaming, and clapping. There was an otherworldly energy all around us, and everyone knew it. I think all the ladies swooned when Russell arrived (at least, I know I did). Ron and Russell were dressed to perfection. I couldn’t believe I was so close to my heroes. I was within arms’ reach of two wonderful people who changed my life. All I could do was gaze with adoration. I was comfortable, though. Sparks have become such a huge part of my life that it was like seeing old friends. I’m not ashamed to admit that I did scream when Russell was on his tiptoes right next to my face, though (and practically any time he danced his way toward our end of the stage).

I can’t remember the exact set list, but I can tell you that “This Town Ain’t Big Enough for Both of Us” was definitely the biggest hit of the night. We were all singing along, as with most songs. A definite melody was heard over the crowd during “Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth”. There were tears in my eyes during “The Number One Song in Heaven”. The combination of Russell’s pure, soaring voice and Ron’s lush, delicate piano was absolutely lethal. I’d managed to keep the tears away for almost the entire show, but I was so touched. We were all touched. Out of all the places in the United States, they chose to come to Seattle for the first time. They chose us.

At some point I wasn’t exactly certain if Russell had tears rolling down his face, or if he was just sweating to death under the lights and his coat. Just watching him strut and jump around was stellar. I was too close to the stage to see Ron’s hands (fan problems, right?) but I assume I would have been staring at them the whole time. Russell’s mic had come undone at some point (this seems to be sort of a trend throughout this entire tour; their roadies are probably like “damn it, old man, chill out!”) and that was quite precious.

I know I was specifically told not to mention this, but the day before the show I was contacted by their PR via tumblr and instructed to get in touch with them via facebook. I was invited to meet Ron and Russell after the show, but it turned into this huge fiasco and nobody knew what was going on. An incredibly lovely and sweet lady checked my ID just to make sure it was really me, and Robert and I were given aftershow passes. Jealousy ensued and I apologize for any hearts broken.

After the show I went upstairs to use the restroom and I met Nicole (fyeah-sparks). Just as many others do, she took a handful of my hair and it was pretty hilarious. (Once again, if there was anyone, anyone I met there but I didn’t ask who you were on tumblr, I’m so sorry, please just let me know.)
Robert and I were led back into the theatre by a security guard. It sort of warmed my heart in an odd way that Ron and Russell were so well protected; I can’t even imagine what a task it must have been in the 70s, when their guards probably had to keep the girls back with machetes.

We were led up a small winding staircase and waited for a few minutes. My heart was racing; my hands were shaking and I felt as if I was going to faint. They were ready to see us. First I spotted Russell; I was surprised to find that we’re practically the same height (I’m 5'4"/163cm). We exchanged hellos (I could hardly breathe at this point and I forgot English and all sorts of terrible things) and he shook my hand. His hands were warm, soft, and gentle. I could have held them forever. I wish I could; I really and truly wish they had more time (we were informed that they had an early flight in the morning and so we didn’t want to inconvenience them).

I met Ron then, and I don’t remember what happened next but I basically blathered on like an idiot, showed them my tattoo, and asked if they’d take a photo with me. I gave Russell the letter I wrote, and we got in place for the photo. Russell touched my hair; I specifically remember his hand touching the slack of my hair, and patting it down, as if to be surprised at the length of it. All I could think was “oh my god, he touched my hair!” and Ron (I don’t recall, but he was standing a little further from me than Russell) well.. ??
I thanked them. As I was walking out Ron took my hand again and I must have held it for a full few seconds because his pinkie just sort of lazily drifted from my palm. Or maybe that’s just the way I touch the hands of those I love. He smiled at me. It was wonderful.

Nicole was on her way up as we were walking out. I fangirled all over her and told her that Russell had the softest, most lovely hands in all of existence. And it’s true. I met my heroes and I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much tenderness and love in the eyes of strangers in my entire life.
Thank you, everyone I met.

Thank you, Ron and Russell. I’m sorry I didn’t even introduce myself but I was so weak in the knees and awestruck by your wonder, and how much I love both of you - I was so overwhelmed.

I would wait another lifetime to see you two again. My life is now complete.

tl;dr version:
  • Front row - we were touching the stage.
  • The show was amazing.
  • Russell's mic came undone because he doesn't know how to chill.
  • Ron looked at Ki & I.
  • Backstage passes.
  • Russell touched my hair.
  • I briefly held the glorious hands of Ron Mael.
  • I cried.
  • I swooned for days in remembrance.