Music Banter - View Single Post - I Just Smell Funny
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
DeadChannel
Music Addict

Default Getting Into Jazz, Day 1

Okay, so, it's time to stop dicking around. I've been a casual fan of the odd jazz record for a while, but I've never really explored that way I'd like to.

So, over the course over the next month, I'm going to make a point of listening to two jazz records per day. I'm not going to really post reviews until I think I've got a handle on jazz, but I will post general thoughts.

I'm going to start off with some so called "seminal" records, before eventually venturing further into foreign territory.

Starting things off is the 1957 Hard Bop album "Blue Train" by John Coltrane.
Coltrane does a good job on Saxophone. Most of the time, he's backed by drums and bass. A piano sometimes roams around and... uh... does stuff. There are a few trumpets here and there, too.

I enjoyed this album. It's got a lot of energy. I'll be checking out more of Coltrane's Stuff for sure.

So, Miles Davis, then. I listened to Bitches Brew a while back, and dug it, so I decided to give this a listen. It doesn't really have the same rock n' rock type influences of Bitches Brew by virtue of the fact that it is not, in fact, a fusion record. This is part of the reason why I chose it. Maybe some jazz fusion stuff will come later, but for now I need to listen to straight jazz.

This album is my favorite of the two. I noticed that the bass is doing a lot more on it's own, rather than just playing similar sounding patterns in the background. I also like the production more. It feels fuller, more engrossing.

Wikipedia describes it as a pioneering modal jazz album. I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I dig it what's being done here.

For tomorrow, I was recommended another Coltrane thing, as well as a Herbie Hancock record.

Beyond that, I'd sure appreciate some recs from people. I know y'all have something for me to listen to...
DeadChannel is offline   Reply With Quote