Music Banter - View Single Post - Musical Pet Peeves
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 04:51 AM   #101 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylstew View Post
So basically, Crust + early death = grindcore?
You're right, the second half does sound pretty death.

edit: This is starting to give me headaches, but I think I'm coming to the conclusion that Grindcore is both punk and metal, Crust and powerviolence are Punk with some light metal influences, and modern hardcore is still a mystery. So I think I'm partially wrong, partially right.
Trying to make it cut-and-dry is pointless. By the nineties, thrash, death metal, and black metal were distinct genres, but throughout the eighties the distinctions between them (not to mention grindcore and even hardcore) could be so vague that classifying them is only useful in hindsight. Sarcofago was somewhere inbetween all three, early Sepultura likewise. Even early Slayer could just as easily be called first-wave black metal. Other bands that are called thrash, such as Sodom and Destruction, have early albums that are considered black metal. Obituary has a heavy Celtic Frost/Hellhamer influence the same as the Norwegian black metal bands. Listen to early Death demos and you can see a straight line going from those same influences until they finally record their debut which is death metal that's still not removed from thrash.

When genres are developing they're just too linked to multiple other genres for classification to be black and white.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote