Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is music so polarizing for so many people?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
tbajas
Groupie

Question Why is music so polarizing for so many people?

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.
This is something that's been on my mind for a few weeks now, and In several hours of searching, I haven't really been able to find an actual discussion on this particular topic. A few weeks back a friend and I were playing videogames on pc, and I was playing some music to help me stay on edge. My friend asked me what I was listening to, and, seeing no reason not to tell him, said "Linkin Park. " At this point my friend, whom I have been able regularly disussed politics, religion, social issues, and generally controversial topics with for years without issue begins asking me why I would listen to such a "terrible band" and insisting that I "get a better taste in music." Now, having been a fan of LP since gradeschool, I'm no stranger to criticism on account of my taste in music. What surprised me, was the fact that my friend, a person who I generally regard as a open minded person, was so adamant in his position that I had a poor taste in music, just because I appreciate a certain artist. I could have just as easily been listening to queen, aerosmith, u2, pink floyd, drake, ice cube, or any of the other hundreds of artists on my hard drive, but that one artist bugged him enough to make him not want to talk to me the remainder of the evening. It quickly occurred to me that this happens near constantly in day to day life. one of my friends picks me and some of his buddies up in his car, one of his friends tell him to turn off "that overplayed classic crap" (Stairway to heaven). Another calls me "gay" for liking the Beach Boys (oh the irony). A listener calls in to complain to the DJ that he played coldplay on an "Alt Rock" station. And on the internet, oh boy, it really comes out (not so much here). I mean, you say "I like artist x," and you'd think you had just insulted everyones ability to think. And god forbid you talk about what a song means to you, because at that point people act as if you just ruined their whole lives. But why?

tl;dr: Why is it that music is so quick to polarize people? It's not like it's politics, there really isn't a need, is there?

Last edited by tbajas; 04-13-2015 at 02:23 PM.
tbajas is offline   Reply With Quote