Music Banter - View Single Post - Live Albums: Fun but Unnecessary, or Important for "True Fans"
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Saw a few live albums threads, but mostly for "best live album evar!!!" discussions, and I just wanted to ask whether people think they're anything but an indulgence. For the most part I've always thought they were -- although sometimes a live version of a song could actually trump the recorded one, but usually not.
Depends on the genre, I think. A lot of jazz artists sound kind of sterile in a studio setting, so some of their live shows really catch what they're all about.

Quote:
The fact that they are recorded minimizes the spontaneity that makes going to a show exciting, since after you've heard the live album once, it's just another version, and likely one that wouldn't have been the take used for a studio album.
How long before a show do you buy your ticket usually? Sometimes I do it four or five months in advance since that artist is on a pretty tightly scheduled tour. Doesn't sound very spontaneous to me.

Quote:
There's a certain energy to a live album that you don't get with a studio album, but it's still just an inferior reproduction of the real experience, not to mention that the production can never give the recording the same sound quality as a studio one.
Not always. Usually when the people at the sound booth bootleg the recordings they can be pretty much studio quality, although the band may not be on its best night when they record it.

Quote:
And yet, here I am listening to a live Acid Bath bootleg. I've just listened to their recorded material so much recently that I guess I need something less familiar, but there's also a different context to certain things that the band does that isn't as apparent on a studio recording. Like, on one or two songs on their studio albums, you'd hear the singer recite some kind of poetry, but I always figured it was just to add some color to the recording, but on this live recording he does that more than once before songs, and even opens the show with a poem, so now I know that he's using his performance to express himself in more ways than just through his singing, which is pretty neat.

I don't know that I'd be as interested in listening to live albums by bands with more recorded material than Acid Bath, since they only have two albums, but I can see myself trying to track down stuff like this by bands that I just can't listen to enough of.
Bands that rule on tape usually rule in person.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote