Music Banter - View Single Post - A Capella Wars
Thread: A Capella Wars
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #75 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

(Sorry for missing my turn to post an a cappella battle. I was not able to be online and post here last week.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Ralph Stanley:
In this song, I liked the touch of black humour when RS sings,"Oh Death, please consider my age; Please don´t take me at this stage" . Overall though, "Oh Death" succeeds too well in its dirge-like purpose; too sluggish, too depressing for me.

Son House:
Something about this song reminded me of good old Beefheart; maybe it was the occasional "Hoooo" interjections, or the way the claps punctuate the recital like the on/off clicks of Beefheart´s tape deck. Either way, this is the one that wins my vote.
Interesting you should mention the Beefheart connection, Lisanholic -- I can definitely hear it in Son House's "Grinnin'" and as a matter of fact, can hear it as well in Ralph Stanley's "O Death". (Note: witness R. Stanley's/The Bootleggers' cover of "Sure 'Nuff 'N' Yes" on the Lawless soundtrack.) These two are actually close for me, but I'm selecting Son House for the playful handclaps which are a good foil to the paranoid lyrics.

Ralph Stanley - 1
Son House - 3
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote