Music Banter - View Single Post - List the things you like/dislike about your country/state/city
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #71 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Technically I live / work in Metro Vancouver but I was born and raised in a small town about an hour away called Chilliwack and have spent every weekend there since I moved for school. I fully intend on moving back there once I'm in the right position to do so, and probably living there, or at least somewhere in the Fraser Valley, until I die. It's basically The Shire, no place on Earth that I've been to has ever come close to bringing me as much comfort and freedom to explore. The town is basically layed out across a flat valley completely encircled by tall mountains with a river bordering it. A 15 minute drive to edge of the valley and you're free to explore an endless labyrinth of trails, private campsites, mountains, caves, streams, swamps, and waterfalls. Here are some pictures I've taken on my cellphone of the town and the surrounding area:

EDIT: Vancouver and the surrounding districts lost their appeal on me within months of moving here. While growing up I always thought I'd enjoy the big city more but the longer I spend here the more I want to move back home. I totally understand that a lot of people really enjoy the service overload of the city, where you can basically get off a bus anywhere and have infinite things to do (provided you can afford it), or the mind boggling architecture, or the feeling of being completely anonymous in a sea of thousands of people, or the near instant access to any food or product imaginable, but coming in from a small town, it just takes the form of a massive imposing grey concrete prison. The metro feels like a can of sardines, the air smells of exhaust and trash, the skyscrapers block out the sun and mountains, your ears are constantly bombarded by engine noises and construction sites, and you'll never have the chance to walk down an empty street at night, nothing ever sleeps in the city. Never thought I'd sound like such a redneck, but living in Vancouver has made me more of a hick than I ever was growing up.

At least it's easy to get a job.
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.

Last edited by EPOCH6; 04-15-2015 at 10:02 AM.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote