Music Banter - View Single Post - Whatever would Doctor King have said? Police brutality in the 21st century
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
What in hell is going on? Now we have yet another black man shot down, unarmed, for no other reason than that he ran away when stopped by a cop! And not a warning shot either: EIGHT shots, and he was killed. And then the cop (white of course) tries to cover by pretending the guy stole his taser? How is he supposed to have done this when the man ran directly from his car, away from the officer and was shot down at range?

Okay, so the cop is being charged with murder --- probably only because he was caught on video and the powers that be have no choice --- but will he be convicted? Every other week there seems to be some trigger-happy cop looking for an excuse to gun down a black guy. I'm not saying every cop is like this of course, but you have to wonder, with these incidents on the increase, do cops not think before they shoot? Like, there is no other way that cop could have halted his quarry's escape other than to shoot him dead? What happened to the Civil Rights Law? Are we living in the 50s again?

Comments?

Well the thing is this....

And I know a lot of you will call me racist and bash me but I don't care because this is my opinion and I speak as a minority (so I know first hand what I am talking about because I experience this on a daily)

The thing is this...

Police brutality has always been prevalent against African Americans for YEARS. This is not something that is "new." It might be new to the masses but it is not an issue that has just started.

Because of social media and the internet age, things are now being caught on camera unlike in past decades. Now you have footage, photos, cell phone recordings, etc of these incidents and this issue is being presented on a mass level now unlike before.

What can we do to change this?

Its hard to say... the more things seem like they have changed the more things really are still the same. This issue unfortunately is something that goes deeper than just law enforcement. Racism is very embedded in our culture but its on a different level now. Its more implicit and institutionalized now but it is very much visible in our culture. White people don't seem to care about these issues because they are not directly affected by it.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote