Music Banter - View Single Post - I Can Tell By That Look in Your Eye: Toto reviewed 1978-2015
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

The Album

Anteater: So with Fahrenheit, we arrive at Joseph Williams' debut in Toto's history. It's a pretty interesting album too, maybe their most progressive one since Hydra.

Unknown Soldier: ...... and also their weakest , I'll be honest right from the start and state that I don't really like this album. In fact Joseph Williams is the best thing about the whole album.

Anteater: Well, going experimental is a double edged sword for any band. I find that aspect charming in some respects. It's a very different beast from Isolation though

Unknown Soldier: I can remember that I was so happy when that album came out (back then no internet only music press which I seldom bought) but I was reduced to tears when found out that Fergie had left, so I had it in for the band and especially Joseph Williams from the beginning.

Anteater: So has your perception of Fahrenheit improved at all since you originally listened to it way back when?

Anteater: Or do you feel like there's an emotional bias there

Unknown Soldier: There's no emotional bias there now and have listened to it a couple of times again recently. I find the ballads/singles extremely generic and contrived in a very Steve Lukather way. I think there are a number of bad musical experiments on the album that don't work. There are some good songs though of which I'll mention when we go into the album proper.

Unknown Soldier: I also like the album cover.

Anteater: Yeah, it's very L.A.

Side One

Unknown Soldier: So the first track is "Till the End" written by David Paich and Joseph Williams.

Anteater: Very upbeat track, kinda hi-tech

Unknown Soldier: Now this is a track that I do like, it's upbeat as you say and it has such a great funky thump to it.

Anteater: And some nice parping horns(?) synths

Anteater: Not a bad way for Joseph to make his debut

Anteater: I remember the music video had him and the rest of the band in bolero hats and such

Unknown Soldier: Yes the song is great but that ridiculous mariachi style costume that Joseph Williams wears in the video is a no no..... and his silly dancing doesn't help that much either.

Anteater: Oh that music video made no sense whatsoever

Anteater: I can kind of see from that why Lukather isn't a big fan of the band's mid-80's vids and such

Unknown Soldier: It's pure MTV at its worst, it's glossy and it's the kind of thing the general viewing public liked..

Anteater: 'Til The End' was the band's 3rd single

Anteater: so I'm sure the video didn't do it any favors

Unknown Soldier: Yes and certainly better than the two singles before it imo.

Unknown Soldier: Next up is "We Can Make it Tonight" and the first with an outside writer in Barry Bregman

Anteater: Well some of my favorite tracks on Fahrenheit didn't even make it onto radio, and 'We Can Make It Tonight' was one of them.

Anteater: It was sampled a couple years ago on a popular Grum song, but I think it was done kind of tongue in cheek

Unknown Soldier: It's the kind of track that is perfect for Joseph Williams' vocal array, I also really love this song.

Anteater: It's one of Toto's best mid tempo AOR songs without a doubt!

Unknown Soldier: It also sounds very much like a film soundtrack song as well, it could've featured as a soundtrack from any number of American films from that era.

Anteater: Should have been on Miami Vice, hahahaha!

Unknown Soldier: Oh yeah it's real Miami Vice type material.

Anteater: In any case, I will be the first to agree with you that the ballads on Fahrenheit in general are pretty pedestrian.

Anteater: None of them are bad songs per-se, but they lack the power of the band's biggest ballads we've heard so far.

Unknown Soldier: …which leads us to "Without You Love" a song and video that I really dislike and it's Steve Lukather at his worst and it was actually written by David Paich.

Unknown Soldier: It's only saving grace is its chorus and I guess David Paich thought that this was the type of song Steve Lukather would write anyway.

Anteater: I like Lukather's more laidback, exploratory jazz-fusion guitar work on the second half of the song, but it doesn't really do much for me either.

Anteater:Least as far as being a composition goes.

Unknown Soldier: ..... and the video has Joseph Williams standing around like a loose end, at least Bobby Kimball used to pretend to do something on the keyboards.i

Anteater: Lol, could Bobby even play keys?

Anteater: Though I digress…

Anteater: Our next cut, 'Can't Stand It Any Longer', is a really weird sounding song for Toto.

Unknown Soldier: The best song on the album for me, because it's the only song on this album that I can imagine Fergie singing but to be fair Joseph does a great job.

Unknown Soldier: It was always my favourite back when I got the album and is today as well. It's like a distant cousin of "Lion" in some ways.

Anteater: Lion's weirder cousin with a thing for Reggaeton I suppose

Anteater: It sounds like a Police song with Toto's usual dramatic flair on the chorus and main guitar melody.

Anteater: It’s one of those songs I wasn't into initially, but over time has grown a lot on me

Unknown Soldier: I guess so and sure there's a Police vibe to it, surprisingly that hasn't put me off the song as I really dislike the Police.

Anteater: Reggae and arena rock rarely ever crossed over even at their primes in the decade…

Anteater:…so I give it props just for trying. It's just icing on the cake that it's actually pretty listenable.

Anteater: On another note, we have now arrived at the "peak" (or perhaps valley) of the album...

Anteater:A certain power ballad we all know...

Anteater: It even has Michael McDonald on the chorus!

Unknown Soldier: Yes the cringe worthy "I'll Be Over You" and another video that I hate.

Anteater: Haha, I don't actually hate this song. It’s a good ballad, just nothing mindblowing.

Anteater: The video is pretty naff though, even for Toto.

Anteater: Surprised Kenny G didn't show up midway through!

Unknown Soldier: Exactly and boy was I glad it thundered and rained to drive them inside and cut short the song.

Anteater: Hahaha!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote