Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's Yacht Rock Extravaganza
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

5 Great Westcoasty Songs By People Known For Other Styles

Yacht rock has sunk its claws into a variety of other bands and artists, some who were simply doing music during that era and others who are doing music today. I've merely decided to highlight some that diversity in this post, so enjoy!

Quote:
5. Girl On The Moon (Foreigner - 4 - 1981)

On the softer side of things, most people known of Foreigner's big #1 "soft" hit 'Waiting For A Girl Like You', but my favorite slower piece from that album also happens to be a tasty slice of space-faring yachtiness they haven't done before or since.

Quote:
4. Cancun (Suspyre - self-titled - 2012)

Probably the only time I've heard a metal band try to do a "soft rock" song without any irony or tounge-in-cheekness in tow. Pretty much the definition of a "left turn", but I personally find it quite enjoyable.

Quote:
3. Rockin' You Eternally (Leon Ware - Rockin' You Eternally - 1981)

Although I've already pointed out that Westcoast and R&B crossed over on numerous occasions in the late 70's and 80's, Leon Ware is on this particular list because he has never done anything beyond this album with that sort of vibe. This guy's mostly known for production and songwriting work with guys like Marvin Gaye, not being on a boat...and yet here he is. And boy does it work!

Quote:
2. Far Away (Y.T. Sessions) (Washed Out - Yours Truly Sessions - 2011)

For anyone who spent any time at all on a music website between 2007 and 2012, "chillwave" was a big deal in contemporary dance music. Many of the big progenitors of the "movement", such as Washed Out, are actually big fans of Westcoast and yacht rock, as this particular take they did on one of their biggest singles demonstrates...complete with awesome sax!

Quote:
1. Fragments Of Time (Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - 2013)

I'm sure some people predicted Daft Punk's eventual metamorphosis into a late 70's/early 80's nostalgia machine years before it actually happened, but I still find it amazing that Random Access Memories exploded commercially the way it did. A yacht rock album hasn't won a Grammy since 1982, and yet this album did it in 2013. The modern day equivalent of Herbie Hancock's 'Lite Me Up!", this particular song is an absolute joy for modern day sailors of the sunshine state. Dig itttttt.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote