Music Banter - View Single Post - I agree, let's see if you do...
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #92 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post
What does this have to do with what we are discussing?
Pretty much what CN says: I have nothing against electronic music (I know but little of it but do like a lot of it) but the original contention was something along the lines of you need talent to make music, and Waits certainly has it in spades. The fact that he uses so few instruments here is I think evidence that you can create something really amazing with very little technology, which is not to put down electronic music, because then you have this, which could not really be created WITHOUT technology and is a real example of someone pushing the envelope of the time to make new sounds and effects with what would have been at the time pretty basic synthesising techniques.

Anyway, don't get all snippy on me. Seems like you're not so much interested in discussing as arguing. I'm not getting drawn into that, just responding to the main point, the OP in which the question is posed as to whether there are any new innovations being made in music these days. I think there are, and while Waits would not be one who would naturally be at the top of everyone's to-listen list, his music illustrates the point quite well I feel.

Course if all you want to do is fight, I'll send Batty your way.