Music Banter - View Single Post - That feeling when...
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #2038 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sir View Post
I love prepared guitar and experimental music in general, but I've never been able to understand what advantages using a bow on a guitar actually has. It does make a fuzzy sound, but nothing which seems unreachable by other ways while leaving the instrument itself available for more options. The sound is a tad different when you release contact, but then again I feel I can say the same thing about this as I did in my last sentence.
It's really cool for harmonics, plus the amount of pressure you use can give you a lot of different sounds. I mainly used it for the broken string where I would grab it, pull it, then bow it, which gave me more interesting sounds than if I was just bowing the unbroken strings. If I did it slowly I could get a percussive noise almost because it would skip along the bow. Another thing that I do is stick a pencil in the strings to elevate the d and g strings so I can access those without bowing any others.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote