Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #23256 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Downloads/streams (pt. 2):

Cold Pumas - Persistent Malaise (2012)
I've been enjoying this one a lot in the last week. Another new British discovery, this one sounds a bit Canadian with their shattered glass-like post-punk guitar tones, akin to Women and Viet Cong but a bit more on the indie rock side - which is to say, more melodic and accessible yet still sounding "experimental" with less than traditional song structures. On subsequent listens I picked up on some similarities to Oneida. I also ordered this on vinyl after my second listen.

Cold Pumas - Beat Mystery [7"] (2009)

Cold Pumas - Jela / A Tempting Haunt [12"] (2009)
These two EPs are more experimental than the album at the top, reminding me more of Oneida.

Drenge - Drenge (2013)
I don't really remember what this was like, I've only played it once so far. They're British and play a grungy-sounding garage rock I think. I found it interesting and pretty unique, but will have to revisit to decide how much I like it.

The Black Tambourines - The Black Tambourines (2013)
I played this in the car on Record Store Day and wasn't too focused on it so it'll need repeat listens. But again they're British and play garage rock. This one didn't sound as surfy/Californian as the EP I posted above, at least I didn't pick up on it.

Suuns and Jerusalem in My Heart - Suuns and Jerusalem in My Heart (2015)
The Canadian Indie/Art Rock band Suuns teams up with fellow Canadians Jerusalem in My Heart, who I'd never heard of until this collaboration was announced, for an album of...post-rock? It seems Jerusalem in My Heart plays Avant and Arabic Folk, and this album is also tagged with Krautrock and Psychedelic Folk. I didn't hear much in the way of folk anything, sounds pretty electric. It's mostly instrumental with a bit of vocal work on a couple of tracks. I can dig it. Anxious for a proper Suuns album though, hope they're also working on that.

Girl Band - France 98 [EP] (2012)
I saw the Dublin band's name come up a few times recently but ignored it because it sounds like it would be a girl band. Then I saw they were mentioned as opening for Viet Cong on some tour dates, so I investigated. Post-punk/post-hardcore/noise rock with a male singer. I like it.

Girl Band - The Early Years [EP] (2015)
This one compiles some recent 7"s. I like the first 3 tracks but the last two are passable. France 98 is a better experience. Either way, an exciting new discovery and I hope they're planning an album soon.