Music Banter - View Single Post - Assisted Suicide: are we just backward here in Ireland?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Alright:
  • Suicide is not the "coward's way out". Those who commit suicide tend to be suffering from severe mental distress, which should be treated.
  • Active death help and suicide shouldn't be compared. Suicide is, in most cases, the result of untreated mental problems, as stated above. Active death help is something offered in order to shorten the time in which a victim of painful and inevitably lethal disease suffers.
That being said, this is a thing I haven't decided a viewpoint on yet. It's a tough issue for sure, and I want to know more about it before I decide what I mean.

In Norway in general, it's a mixed bag. Only one of our major parties support active death help, Fremskrittspartiet, or the Progress Party (though they're not progressive at all imo). They have a certain amount of influence, since they're one of the two parties that make up our current executive branch, and they have 29 of our 169 parliamentary seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyislingering View Post
nah, just like the rest of the world, mental health hasn't been addressed as an important facet of the human condition.
Agreed fully.

Last edited by Isbjørn; 04-23-2015 at 01:13 PM.