Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #2079 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
his press conference was exciting for me (tho MacT also said some nice things before making dumb moves, or atleast not smart ones). Chiarelli talking about being heavy without necessarily bringing in big guys sounds nice. bringing in big for the sake of big has always been a pet peeve of mine.

I also had no idea Kelly had a NTC haha how on earth did that happen. Peverley is a good player but didn't he trade Wheeler for him... he does seem to have a good track record with FAs so that's good. maybe he'll offersheet Hamilton this year ;o)

I am worried that hes gonna trade hall for spare parts which would be terrible, but im interested to see what he does with the defense. maybe he'll buy out Nikitin or Ference (the latter seems unlikely tho)

cautious optimism ill say but ya anything is better than what was going on before.

also as a coach that isn't really talked about as much id be super stoked if somehow Bylsma became their next coach. this is obviously not based on anything and he has no ties to chiarelli but I think hes really great and im surprised he still doesn't have a job. maybe he likes the idea of starting off with crosby2.0 again??
Man, this is an argument I've had with a lot of people and it frustrates the hell out of me. Why do people care so much what happens with players after they're traded? I'm happy for Wheeler that he's turned his game around, but in Boston he was struggling mightily, and was absolutely awful in the playoffs. He was actually the #1 scapegoat among the fans for those early Chiarelli teams. You look at the numbers and it doesn't seem too bad, but he was definitely a player that was stalling.

Peverley on the other hand was such a significant plug-and-play player. He played everywhere, helped out in almost every facet of the game, and was the guy that stepped up when Horton went down against Vancouver. Wheeler could win the Art Ross the next 10 seasons and I still wouldn't reverse that trade.

So many people keep bringing up Kessel, Seguin and Wheeler saying things like "bet you wish you could have those players back", but the reality is that Chiarelli identified a mentality and structure to the team, brought in the personnel to fill it out, and never looked back, and he's been extremely successful with that mentality. I don't care how well those players fit in for the other teams, all I care about is how the players coming back fit into my team. For what it's worth (which is actually pretty much nothing), Dallas, Winnipeg/Atlanta, and Toronto have won a combined 5 playoff games with those players.

I think you legitimately should anticipate a core piece like Hall or Eberle getting traded (don't worry about RNH, Chiarelli is obsessed with centers). But he'll give the team an identity, I can tell you that much.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote