Music Banter - View Single Post - I know what I like: Trollheart's History of Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 05:11 AM   #66 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
There was nothing remotely progressive about The Pretty Things.
I find it hilarious that people lump them in with prog bands just because they made an album with one central theme. As if that is somehow unique to prog rock (It isn't, Frank Sinatra did a 'concept album' in 1954)

The Pretty Things were an scuzzy R&B band like the Rolling Stones (Guitarist Dick Turner turned them down to go to art college in 1962), only they hung out with the counter-culture scene in Ladbroke Grove that spawned bands like The Deviants, Hawkwind, The Pink Faries & Motorhead . SF Sorrow is basically them copying the Stones Satanic Majesties album aided by a ton of drugs.

No wonder you didn't like it.
Yeah I did wonder as I said about including them, but there are a lot of bands I have never heard of that seem to be on the verges of prog rock, and I had to try them in case I was missing out something important, particularly with the Bowie connection. Like you say though, nothing remotely prog about them and as I said in the review, I totally lost interest.

Oh well: on to 1969!