Music Banter - View Single Post - I know what I like: Trollheart's History of Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 04:41 AM   #68 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The problem is you're getting a lot of bands just because they were experimental or even just different on your lists, most of what you've been listening to so far is not really prog at all.

It looks like that you've been getting these recs from Wikipedia's prog releases by year, as their list has just so many albums that might appeal to a fan of prog without actually being prog. By the time you reach the 1970s you should find more relevant stuff.

Will you be covering Krautrock, as most prog lists seem to include it?
You're absolutely right, though I did say I think at the beginning that I would be taking my main list from the Big W. I did try some books but most are either arranged so haphazardly that there's no way to get a timeline from them or are concentrated on one era or some favourite bands. Why has nobody ever wrote the definitive history of prog rock??

Oh, and before I move on to 1970 soon (which I'm really looking forward to, as it ties in with the bands I began to get into first -- Genesis, Supertramp, ELO etc) if you or anyone else has any recs I've missed out for the late 60s do let me know.

I will of course be covering Krautrock: I believe Organisation are up for 1969. But as each "scene" becomes more fleshed out I'll do separate sections on those. These are just the introductory entries for the nascent years I guess. One we get into the seventies things will be a lot more in-depth.