Music Banter - View Single Post - Dan Lilker Is the Unsung Metal God of Metal
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Default Dan Lilker Is the Unsung Metal God of Metal

For those of you who don't know, Dan Lilker cofounded Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, Stromtroopers of Death, and when he got tired of thrash, formed Brutal Truth. How many dudes are involved in three classic bands in the genre they helped found, and then go on to be in one of the most influential bands in an entirely different genre? Like, almost no one.

Judging by his other numerous side projects that are relatively unknown, he's a manimal who just can't sit still. I think he might be the less avant garde version of Justin Broadrick (early Napalm Death, Godflesh, and Jesu, just to name a few). Dan has been/is in such groups as Venomous Concept (only listened to one song, but that was a pretty ****ing awesome modern hardcore song), Nun****Ritual (who don't seem to get much love on the Metal Archives, but apparently they play black/doom metal, so I'm intrigued), Crucifist, Blurred, and a bunch of others.

Brutal Truth are making music again, and at least their first album after reforming is pretty sweet. They are committed to making grindcore that is unlistenable for more than just speed and abrasiveness, and I think that's pretty wizard, and I love that the man just isn't content to sit on his laurels and live off his considerable cult reputation. If more old school bands -- *cough*SlayerMetallicaMegadeth*cough* -- would grow a pair and venture beyond their paycheck bands to do something different, then they might still be relevant and not embarrassing.

Anyone else love Dan Lilker?

He only played on Anthrax's two demos, debut album, and two songs from their followup EP -- both of which seemed to have been cut from the final release. While their later work somewhat eclipsed Anthrax's early stuff, I love that Dan's beginning's were OG American speed metal, before it became "cool" to play "uncool" metal. Gives him the metal equivalent of street cred.

Apparently he got booted from the band because Neil Turban (Anthrax's vocalist at the time) didn't like him, and his bandmates would rather lose a bassist than a singer. Possibly for the best though, since he didn't have to be associated with Anthrax's later, crap albums.

Then he formed Nuclear Assault, while also getting back together with Scott Ian and Charlie Benante for SOD. Both bands had some tasty hardcore punk influence.

Then came mother****ing Brutal Truth. First album, Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses, was some ugly, old school death/grind.

Second album, Need to Control, a more precise, crushing affair, with a heavier, less noisy production that really gave it weight.

And I love how both albums start with slower, mid-paced songs that are quasi-doom.

Last full-length before breaking up was a weird one. Chaotic, experimental, challenging, and with a muddy production that's kind of alienating on first listen, but if you give it a shot it just might become your fav BT album. No other grind album really sounds anything like it.

And yet sometimes they throw an almost rock'n'roll groove into a song that almost makes it accessible, seemingly just to **** with you. Also exposes the vocalist's Southern accent.

Then the band broke up, came back, and dropped this niceness, Evolution Through Revolution. It tricks you into thinking it's more traditional grind, but it's dissonant riffs make it quasi-unlistenable. ****ing sweet.

Haven't listened to their followup, and I've reached the limits for Youtube vids anyway, so I'll sign off. Anyone else love Dan Lilker?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 04-27-2015 at 02:58 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote