Music Banter - View Single Post - Great Debate: Are eSports sports?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #322 (permalink)
DwnWthVwls
Fck Ths Thngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
Nope.

Quote:
sport
spĂ´rt/Submit
noun
1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

It's what the game creators want you to think. They'll keep perpetuating the argument, and people will keep sending them money.
Based on your definition I fail to see how that excludes esports from being real sports unless, like I said earlier, you draw arbitrary lines over how much exertion is required rather than if it IS required and exclude dexterity and reflexes as physical aspects/skill of gaming.

Some gamers compete in tournaments for lengths of 4+ hours at a time going through stages of heart rate increase and all while maintaining precision hand-eye coordination.

Also, what physical skills does CAD require? I don't know much about the program, and I've made it a point to exclude brain function from the list of criteria for physical exertion. If CAD does actually require some sort of insane dexterity or reflexes and there are competitions for it, I'd consider it a sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump

Last edited by DwnWthVwls; 04-28-2015 at 12:43 PM.