Music Banter - View Single Post - Hi, im new in metal!
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNtrivedNiHilism View Post
It's a matter of how you and I see things. Burn My Eyes is classic Machine Head, some say at their best. I love Burn My Eyes, it's the album anyone new to the band needs to start with. Then there's that period where the band flirted with nu-metal (and made it sound better to boot.) Those albums are ok, but they were stepping stones to the Machine Head we have today. I'd say that it would be easy to hear why Burn My Eyes can be the heaviest or most brutal Machine Head record, and I do agree on that. But the newer material I'd say is better because they're better musicians now. 'Course, that's just my view. But to actually clarify what I mean by that...

They're better musicians now, so the music they produce is more focused, tighter, or put together with a lot more understanding than with Burn My Eyes. But you're not looking at it like that Batty, I understand. Your view is more toward that Burn My Eyes, or The Blackening are just the best out of the albums the band has, more to your taste or preference.

By large, the band has not sold out, and they've stayed true to what makes Machine Head, Machine Head. I wouldn't even go so far as to say they market a more commercial sound. Because I'd be amazed if anything recent has ever been played on radio that often. The quality of the bands music is better than anything truly commercial.

As far as those two songs you posted go. The first is obviously not as heavy as the second. Guitar tone and the the drumming isn't as aggressive in the first, and the vocals in the second are maybe more...I can't find the word, but by large, the second song is the better of the two. I do get your point though.

And yeah...Rob used to have cornrows haha.
First of all, I've already said that they've vastly improved as songwriters, but their original sound is so crushing that at least as far as song for song, their debut wins, even if I get bored about halfway through.

Secondly, I'd say Machine Head weren't so much sellouts, but Robb Flynn has been a trend chaser from day one. Look at his work with Vio-Lence, which is as unoriginal thrash as has ever existed, but it's also some ****ing goodass thrash. Early Machine Head was basically more aggressive Pantera, and now they're throwing in metalcore elements while toning down the abrasiveness.

Machine Head are great trend chasers, but in the end, they copy the work of others without actually innovating themselves.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote