Music Banter - View Single Post - aux-in's Collection: [The Electronic Continuum]
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Default I've Got My Mind on My Metal and My Metal on My Mind

Electronica is an incredibly diverse branch of music, especially when you begin to explore all of the genres and sub-genres. Almost as varied, if not more so, than rock/metal. The great thing about music--and not like I have to tell a music forum this or anything--is that not only can you seek out any genre/sub-genre that you're in the mood for, but you can also seek out selections based on feel (feel is different than mood). There's fast-paced music, downtempo, groove/lounge, club, dance, banger, chill out, spacey, ambient, dance pop, and on and on, and each of these can bring a different kind of feel to the table. While all of these have their place in my Electronic Continuum, here are a few selections that ignite my metal feels. These are specific picks that I have chosen because they aren't just loud, bassy electronica, it's that they give off a metal vibe more than all the rest, even though most of them don't contain any guitar work.

Emma Hewitt - "Rewind" [Mikkas Remix]

Emma Hewitt makes her return to the journal with her song "Rewind" getting the remix treatment from Mikkas. This is the hardest-hitting trance song that I've ever heard, and it's top stuff to boot. From the first note, the bass rips right into you: it's dark; it's brooding; it's orchestral; it's melodic; and it's hard-charging, just like metal can be. The song carries only one voice--Emma Hewitt's-- but Mikkas is a wizard at vocal splicing to where it sounds like a choir of angels. I feel like a lowercase demi-god when I listen to this at full volume. Too bad it's the radio edit.

Koven - "More Than You" [DC Breaks Remix]

Hardcore drum 'n bass. This one has guitars in it. To some degree, electronic music is supposed to be repetitious for dance purposes or whatever, and I'm fine with that, but this is one of those instances where I'm disappointed that there isn't more variety in the lyrics/chorus. The second chorus repeats the same as the first. The Video: The video is awesome. It takes a 2-D photo and tries to go all 3-D on you with some very creative graphics. Although I've seen this technique used elsewhere since first viewing this, this was the first time I came across anything like that in a music video.

Koven is a London duo made up of Max Rowat & Katie Boyle. I don't know too much about DC Breaks.

Loadstar - "Refuse To Love"

Melodic, heavy drum 'n bass. Not surprisingly, the song is about refusing to love. Additionally, there seems to be key and clever changes in word usage going on that prevent this song from being what it actually wants to be...or that help the song stay exactly as it should be...whichever is which. For the video, I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me after a few plays and now I see where they were trying to go with it. The actors play a couple working out their frustrations by breaking items in the room and playfully tossing paint at each other. To be sure, you can see on their faces that they're having a good time doing it, which only makes sense due to the aforementioned changes in the lyrics. Basically, "couples therapy."

Next up...

Now marks the first appearance in the journal for Virtual Riot, a young producer from Germany. He made these two tracks before he was 20. Both of them are dubstep.

Lisa Rowe - "Black Light" [Virtual Riot Remix]

^^ This is a good example of where a producer can completely change the essence of song with a remix. The original version of "Black Light" can be heard here. Virtual Riot has said in interviews that a big influence for him is, in fact, metal.

Virtual Riot (ft. Lisa Rowe) - "Never Gonna Die"

Not quite as metal-sounding as the previous, but IMO, "Black Light" and "Never Gonna Die" should go hand-in-hand. "Never Gonna Die" also goes by the title "Alive" depending on which YouTube video you pull up.

KDrew - "Circles" [Original Mix]

Great piano work to start off with, although it kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy X's "Zanarkand." Then the vocals come in and they're on the boy-bandish side to be frank about it. If 'N Sync and dubstep had a baby, it might sound something like this. Or maybe One Direction or whatever is popular nowadays. But not to worry too much, after the first chorus the dubstep is soon to follow. Now, I like KDrew as a producer, even if a lot of his newer stuff is more on the pop side than what this is. YouTube commenter: "Can we get this without the dubstep?" Um, no.

Fun fact: I hear people say all the time that dubstep is popular, but there is no electronic music station where I'm at (generic dance radio tunes don't count), and no one I know listens to this type of music. As such, I was taken off-guard when I heard "Circles" at a hockey game. I wasn't sure at that moment if that meant I had to turn in what little I had of my underground cred. Very unexpected, particularly because when KDrew first released this, he gave it away as a free download.

Xilent (ft. Grimm) - "Falling Apart I"

There are two versions here: "Falling Apart I" is electro house, and it's the one I'm posting as it feels more metal in its construction. It's not a perfect song as the vocals are on the weak side, but at least it's crunchy. "Falling Apart II" took elements from the first and transitioned itself into dubstep. "II" feels, naturally, like a dubstep song.

Diamond Eyes - "Rivers"

Nice growl in this one.

Feint - "One Last Time"

An instrumental drum 'n bass song. Fast-paced. Brutal.

Vonikk - "Avant Guard"

Dubstep instrumental. Almost like it wants to go into an '80s guitar solo at some points.

Also-Mentions: Pendulum's "The Tempest" and "Witchcraft.", both clickable links. I also think Omnia's "The Fusion" would work here, but I already included that in last entry's "The Bangers-Only Club: Part I."

Ruminations & General Nonesensory: I honestly find it fascinating that some of the people I grew up with who used to listen to rock and nu metal can't get into this type of electronic music. These are also the same folks who grew up with electronic music in their video games. I find it so fascinating that I'd find it of great interest to see some case studies on the subject. Really getting to the nitty gritty of why there is such a seperation of tastes from individuals with very similar backgrounds. Is it as simple as not wanting/caring/having time to allow oneself to take on new sounds/interests/technique? One cares more about music, generally, than the other? It's not like it's a generational gap or something like that. I'm certain they wouldn't like the slower stuff either. I'm sure I could expand on this topic some more, but this'll do.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."

Last edited by Aux-In; 06-24-2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Fixed broken video link
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote