Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people get annoyed at people who care about minority social issues?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #78 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
I disagree

We do not have any black leaders the same as in the past.

Just because an African American is in a high position does not automatically make them a black leader. (yes they might have the platform to bring about change but that doesn't necessarily mean they are risking their life to protest the civil rights for black people)

We don't have that today.

We don't have Malcom X's or MLK's who risk there life to push for civil rights and equality for black people. They weren't looking for trophies or to be on t.v. They worked in the communities, organized protests, taught the youth about their history, implemented spirituality/church in their practices.

We don't have that today.

The black youth today look towards the wrong people for guidance which is the problem. They look towards people like Beyonce and Jay Z when Beyonce and Jay Z could give a damn if they got shot in the street today or tomorrow.
Of course the leaders today aren't the same as the past. That's my whole point. Times are different now and they call for different kinds of leaders.

Quote:
Actually you are wrong, racism is actually more implicit and institutionalized now. Its not as overt and explicit like it was in the past.
Yes, it's less overt. That's what "less blatant" means. And no, it's not more institutionalized now than when there were literally laws that actively discriminated against people based on the color of their skin. When I refer to institutional racism, I'm referring to racism that was enshrined in the rules and regulations of the governing institutions. Things are no longer that like that, but as we both agree, racism still persists in less overt ways.

Quote:
But that does not make that mayor a leader in the face of civil rights for black people.

Being an example is not enough.
I didn't say it was. What I'm saying is that, in additional to being a great role model, a person like Stephanie Rawlings-Blake actually has legal power over the police and other city institutions, something no civil rights leader back in the 60s ever had.

Quote:
We need someone as the face of the movement who not only discusses the problems and issues that the black community faces but also actively bring about change through peaceful organized protests, programs, lecturing the black youth about their history, problems they might have, educating certain communities etc. We need some structured guidance and organization for when these types of civil rights issues arises.

Part of the reason why the youth riots and loots is because they don't know how to respond to racism because they don't know their history. If they knew their history about what MLK did and stood for they would not be doing that.
You know that "the youth" also rioted back in the 60s, right?