Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do people get annoyed at people who care about minority social issues?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #80 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Of course the leaders today aren't the same as the past. That's my whole point. Times are different now and they call for different kinds of leaders.
But that's the thing.... times are not different because we can clearly see that the same issues that took place in the 60's still are going on today.

Racism and social issues that revolve around how institutions, corporations, law enforcement, politics etc confront this issue is still the same.

The problem with today's so called leaders it that, we don't have any real leaders that really want to change the community for the better. Most of these so called leaders just care about money and status.

There is no reason why there cant be leaders willing to risk their life and fight for the civil rights of black people like leaders did during the 60's.

Quote:
Yes, it's less overt. That's what "less blatant" means.
But you implied that it is not as institutionalized and the opposite of institutionalized racism is overt racism and if that is not what you meant than you could have clarified that point better.

Quote:
And no, it's not more institutionalized now

You are wrong.

It is more institutionalized now compared to the past. In the past, most of the racism was expressed explicitly through hangings, shootings, harassment and other forms of physical aggression.

Institutionalized racism does not only specifically consists of laws. It consists of the way jobs are created, classism, socioeconomic status, implicit forms of racism, i.e. standardized testing (biased testing implemented to weed out minorities who lack education on certain areas), job discrimination (i.e. picking a white person over a black person who is equally qualified) those types of issues reflect in institutionalized racism which is why those things are implemented. They keep minorities in the low socioeconomic class although it is not overtly expressed like it once was.

It is more institutionalized now because there is no longer segregation so they weed out minorities in a different way.

Quote:
I didn't say it was. What I'm saying is that, in additional to being a great role model, a person like Stephanie Rawlings-Blake actually has legal power over the police and other city institutions, something no civil rights leader back in the 60s ever had.
You gave more importance over "being an example" as the the resolution and if that is not what you meant you definitely implied it. But yes in conjuction to being a good role model, there needs to be someone actively make changes in the community.

Also, while I agree there are more minorities in policy compared to the 60's, there are still not an abundance of minorities in political positions. That is still an area that minority presence is still lacking.

Quote:
You know that "the youth" also rioted back in the 60s, right?
If you read my first few posts I said that black youth rioted during the 60's as well. That point has already been made.

However, in today's generation, there are no black leaders to step in to re-direct the youth and guide them when these racial issues arise.