Music Banter - View Single Post - Ultimate Guitarist Poll
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 01:38 PM   #67 (permalink)
jazzfromhell
SHAKE!

Ok, I'm going to try and address as much of this thread as possible in one or two posts.

First, my list of favorite ten guitarists, in no order. Not necessarily technical best, just whose style I enjoy:

Django Reinhardt (you guys need to check this guy out, he played better than most I've heard, and had only two fingers on his fret hand)
Charlie Christian (first guitarist to popularize the electric guitar, and one of the first to bring guitar out of the rhythym section as it had been in swing and make it a soloing instrument, as you can guess, his influence is immeasurable)
Frank Zappa
David Gilmour
Jimi Hendrix
John McLaughlin
Jimmy Page
Jack White (far from technical best, but seeing him play live was awesome)
Duane Allman
Jorma Kaukonen (listening to him FINGERPICK Embryonic Journey is amazing)

That's kind of a loose list, I guess, the guitar is far from my favorite instrument, and I don't think about it much.

Now, on to Jimmy Page: he was not the first to use the bow, along with many other riffs, lyrics, etc. (http://www.warr.org/zep.html, go a bit down the page for the list), he took the idea from someone else, in this case, Eddie Phillips of The Creation. Nonetheless, despite not being as original as many would believe, he is a fantastic guitar player, and one of my favorites, as I said above. Most, I think all of the songs you guys listed in the different time signatures, were written by him. I can explain how they work, if you wish. There's no harm in soloing with pentatonic scales, Coltrane (my favorite saxophone soloist of all time, perhaps my favorite soloist period) used them all the time.

Kurt Cobain was not a techinically skilled guitarist, but he had style (albeit, style heavily copied from earlier guitarist). Style is what matters by far the most, in my book. Dimebag, I haven't listened to, I don't like metal. Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, their style alternates between being boring and annoying, I don't like it at all. I'm not a fan of Van Halen, Eddie's pretty good at guitar, but he wouldn't make my top 50.
jazzfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote