Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #7524 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
I guess in some sense but it's really just superficial and stuck in the trappings of the cyberpunk genre. Grey dull colours, rain all the time, no sanctity for human life, etc. While the story does play as if it has some sort of mystical element going on, there's just as much reason to believe that cyberpunk Neil Gaimen is just crazy.

If you mean a similar feel in terms of gameplay mechanics then no, this is a point and click adventure game.
Dreamweb is good for atmosphere and theme, I think. The story is interesting, if a little cheesy. But man, the game is quite hard to get through without a walkthrough. For example, from what I remember there's lots of items you can pick up in the game, including a bunch you have no use for .. As if the old "try using everything on everything when stuck" wasn't bad enough from before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Playing the Secret of Monkey Island again, love those games but they're quite demanding on the puzzle solving element.

Any other point and click you'd recommend, as I know you know a hell of a lot about games?
I love the first two Monkey Island games and have probably completed them more times than any other games I've played. Of course I know them by heart and so that might factor into this, but they don't strike me as particularly hard for adventure games.

Lucasarts had some great point and click titles. After the Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle (sequel to Maniac Mansion) is probably my favorite. Sam 'n Max Hit the Road was also good, as was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

As for non-Lucasarts titles, I quite liked the first Broken Sword game (murder mystery) and the first two Simon the Sorcerer games (very Discworld-y).

Of later games, I also very much liked The Cat Lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post

Im also interested in the old leisure suit larry games.
Im into Point and click adventures, the Ps1 had a game like that called Discworld that was great.
.. A game .. Yes, Discworld is that too.

Edit :

As for I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream .. the game is a mess. The story and concept is cool, but it's buggy, difficult and slow. I just don't think it plays well. Many horror-themed adventure games had this problem (Dark Seed is another good example).

If you want to play a futuristic, serious mystery thriller, consider trying Lucasarts The Dig instead. It's much better made.

Last edited by Guybrush; 05-01-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote