Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #7525 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Dreamweb is good for atmosphere and theme, I think. The story is interesting, if a little cheesy. But man, the game is quite hard to get through without a walkthrough. For example, from what I remember there's lots of items you can pick up in the game, including a bunch you have no use for .. As if the old "try using everything on everything when stuck" wasn't bad enough from before.

I love the first two Monkey Island games and have probably completed them more times than any other games I've played. Of course I know them by heart and so that might factor into this, but they don't strike me as particularly hard for adventure games.

Lucasarts had some great point and click titles. After the Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle (sequel to Maniac Mansion) is probably my favorite. Sam 'n Max Hit the Road was also good, as was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

As for non-Lucasarts titles, I quite liked the first Broken Sword game (murder mystery) and the first two Simon the Sorcerer games (very Discworld-y).

Of later games, I also very much liked The Cat Lady.

.. A game .. Yes, Discworld is that too.

Edit :

As for I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream .. the game is a mess. The story and concept is cool, but it's buggy, difficult and slow. I just don't think it plays well. Many horror-themed adventure games had this problem (Dark Seed is another good example).

If you want to play a futuristic, serious mystery thriller, consider trying Lucasarts The Dig instead. It's much better made.
Yeah I tried to brute force my way through the beginning of DreamWeb but it just wasn't happening so I've started using a walkthrough. The demo I played back in the '90's was of the hotel level which had some really well designed puzzles that were logical, but they really stopped caring after that point because the next major puzzle to get into a TV station just involved me killing a security guard. In a way it's kind of a fresh approach, albeit a little perplexing as to why they would make us use subterfuge at the start if the game was just going to devolve into pixel-hunt your way to your target, then murder them.

I do have to agree with the buggy mess that I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is, but I treat it as a game version of a Shakespeare play where you read the page as it was originally written, and then the translated version to understand what he was on about. It's the type of game where I would never recommend someone play it without a guide, because that will just diminish the effect of the story and atmosphere for the player. I think Amnesia: The Dark Descent is also a good example of that, where I don't think there's any inherent shame for using a guide to get through it. It's a horror experience and you can't solve puzzles in real time while being chased by Lovecraftian monstrosities and trying to manage your sanity. It was one of the few things I was grateful for A Machine For Pigs for doing.

As for people's expressed desires to play Leisure Suit Larry... eh I'd say watch a Let's Play. You can seriously die in the first scene for going the wrong way, or for forgetting to wear a condom when having sex with a prostitute. There's also very little instruction on what to do or how to progress the story, so yeah... I'd say LSL is one of Sierra's worst properties that largely got by on the sex appeal.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote