Music Banter - View Single Post - Hey, is anyone else married here?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #80 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Not married. No kids. Am 34.

I don't really have the inclination to go through with it. I don't feel like there's anything there except an expectation from others. It's funny, we were just talking about this at work on Thursday when a potential hire came through to meet us and get a feel for the environment. We ended up talking about family, etc. and when my boss got to me, asking if I was ever going to shack up I just yelled "NOPE". It has become an automatic response now, but when I think about it, it's not as if I'm actively trying not to get married and have kids... it's that I'm not actively trying TO.

There isn't a sense of urgency. I don't feel like kids are a legacy and I don't feel an obligation to the human race.

Of course, I say that because I don't have kids, therefore I am on the other side of my own possible feelings about the matter in that I don't have them and therefore am not qualified to know how I'd feel about them in that context. But as far as marriage is concerned, apart from an act of commitment, I don't view it as much more than a societal tradition.

I'm open to it, I guess. I'm just not thinking about it as some sort of requirement or goal.
I'm sure I'll regret it on my death bed, should I never start a family of my own, but goddamn if I'm going to not live my entire life the way I want for the sake of having someone to hold my hand when I'm sh*tting the bed during my final hours in a rest home.