Music Banter - View Single Post - Kids: you gotta love 'em!
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Kids: you gotta love 'em!

I will never have children, and even if by some miracle it happened that I met someone who wanted kids, I know I am way too selfish an individual to get involved in raising a child. I know that generally, once you have children your life is effectively over and what is yours is theirs. I recall one episode of "Roseanne" which illustrated this negative aspect of being a father brilliantly:

Dan goes to see this friend of his who has a big screen TV, satellite, massive stereo system, the works. The guy is single and Dan marvels at the stereo, as they swap techy info. He says "I once had a great system like this". The guy remarks "Oh yeah? What you got now?" Dan says glumly "Clock radio."

It's a great depiction of how, once you have children they take over your life and all your disposable income basically goes to raise them, or to give them what they want/need as they grow up. Someone once said you never stop being a parent, and I can believe it. That's part of the downside. There's also the sleepless nights, changing nappies/diapers, frantic visits to the doctor when something seems wrong, and all the other little things that can drive you mad as a parent.

But they're only the negative aspects. Let's get some perspective on this thing. I can't speak from personal experience, but I can only imagine the joy and pride of a father or mother when their son or daughter, for instance, graduates, gets a job, gets married. The simple pleasure of teaching your child to ride a bike, or play guitar or football. Those nights they sneak in to your room, escaping the bogeyman in the closet. That first time they call you daddy or mommy. So many wonderful memories can be built around children. Their first day at school, their first birthday, the baptism, the first time they make friends.

It doesn't matter if you think people shouldn't have kids: nobody's saying you have to personally add to the population if you don't wish to. But surely everyone can find one thing good to say about kids? Some are little bastards, sure, but let's not tar them all with one brush. Have you never listened to little girls playing shop, or boys playing football or chasing? Never answered the door to some cute kid wanting you to sponsor them for some walk or other, or who wants to see your cat or cut your grass?

So anyone who has, or wants, children, or just anyone who likes children post your thoughts here. The sloppier and more cringeworthy the better. Post pics if you want, and let us know your thoughts on kids. If you're a proud dad or mom, or going to be, or want to be, talk to us.

Because remember, the children are our future.
Unless we stop them...