Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 04:41 AM   #19430 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aux-in View Post
I'm not sure what bothers me more when it comes to my own grammar and spelling mistakes. Making them in the first place, or going back and correcting them only to have the "edited by" function appear. Well, it's not really a function, but I don't know what to call it. There are times when I read an old post that is months old--years even--and I want to correct something, yet I feel that it looks disingenuous to do so given the progression of time, even if my intentions are innocuous. Almost as if I'm trying to remove a line that I shouldn't have written or change the meaning and/or intent of what I wrote, when, in fact, it's often to fix spelling and grammar mistakes, and sometimes to remove redundancies, i.e., too many "I think" or "to me's." There were six commas in that last sentence--on purpose.

The "edited by" is there, glaringly pointing at me, time stamp and all.
Two things. If you're going to use "i.e.", then you need to put it, and the following sentence or phrase, in parentheses.

Secondly, "i.e." basically means "in other words", so if you're using it, the following sentence should basically be a definition of what it's in reference to. For example: last week I was viciously attacked, and almost killed, by a Chorthippus brunneus (i.e. a common field grasshopper).

You're looking for "e.g.", which is a list of examples. This should help you out.

Grammar Girl : I.e. Versus E.g. :: Quick and Dirty Tips

Oh yeah, and...

Spoiler for i.e.:
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote