Music Banter - View Single Post - Z' reviews Billy Joel
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

The only thing I would say is that it's a little arrogant to be saying "You don't want to be looking for..." or "All you can find on this album is..." Those sort of comments indicate that you're trying to think for the listener/reader, and that's not good. Maybe some people like "rock/rebel" Billy Joel. If they do, more power to them. I also prefer him at the piano, but even at that, albums like Storm front and The Bridge still have a lot to recommend them, like the superb "Baby Grand" on the latter, where he duets with the legendary late Ray Charles, to say nothing of "A matter of trust", and then there's "Leningrad", "And so it goes" and "State of grace" on the former, though "The Downeaster Alexa" is boredom incarnate.

You're right about The Stranger: I got the release dates mixed up. Wouldn't it have been a funny misprint if he'd had an "l" in there too?

I have to ask: would you consider writing a journal? This sort of thing is often better in a journal format. But whatever you want to do of course.

Oh, I forgot to mention "Until the night", one of my alltime favourite Joel songs. Ever.

If there is one song that is, for me, his "Lady in red", it's "Uptown girl". God how I hate that song! Billy Joel died for me on release of that single. AND it got to number one. GAAAHHHH!!!!